Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally posted by tommyboynjataol

#1 Rev Limiter: I have not felt the rev limiter kick in yet but anyone know at what RPM it does kick in. If it is at a low RPM then we'd like to see, has anyone removed it yet?
Do not remove the rev limiter from your bike.

The rev limiter kicks in past redline to avoid spinning the engine beyond its limit. The 2003 bike makes peak power at about 12,500 rpm, and you should grab a shift soon afterwards, unless you are on a bit of track that calls for overrev.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The RR's rev limiter is 16,000. I dont see a need to go above that, the engine sure doesnt want to.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Originally posted by chefjb21

The RR's rev limiter is 16,000. I dont see a need to go above that, the engine sure doesnt want to.

It says 16K on the display, but turns out the actual rev limit is 14500. Once again the manufac lieing to the consumer.

Two different dynos confirmed this rev limit.

Alex C
03 ZX-6 RR
Northern Va
Go Team Green!
Local Washington DC Area Riding and Social Gatherings Go here -->www.dcsportbikes.net

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Originally posted by ZX636Skiv

As far as the cat, I have heard that the 49 state bikes don't have one in the can. Not sure, because it will be replaced soon anyway.
I think your talking about the Evaporative Emission Control System, 49 states DON'T have that, but all 50 states have a Cat. Other countries might not have a cat in their can but I think most of them will.
Good info on the rev limiter. It is set pretty high so I will leave it in there.
As far as drilling holes in my exhaust... You couldn't pay me enough to do that. I cant really see how you would get more HP out of that. More noise yes, but the noise isn't a great sounding one by doing that.

I like my bike fast... and my women even faster!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Since many of us now have the 03 model Im sure some people have tinkered with it by now to get some more FREE HP. I'm NOT talking about what to buy for it. I'm talking about how to take restrictors, governors, rev limiters off. Or re routing hoses ect... I have read a few articles about how to do a few things but I would like advice and secrets about our 03 636R/RR now. Instructions, diagrams, and pics welcome
#1 Rev Limiter: I have not felt the rev limiter kick in yet but anyone know at what RPM it does kick in. If it is at a low RPM then we'd like to see, has anyone removed it yet?
#2 Catalytic Converter: First off, I would remove the Catalytic converter but it is located inside the exhaust pipe, so when you change to a slip-on or full system you are essentially removing the Cat. Thus creating a more free flowing system. Also with the cat off you can now use a higher octane leaded fuel for racing. Also you are not supposed to jump start your bike by running with it and popping it in gear if you have a Cat. (says the manual)
#3 Emission Controls: Our 03 ZX636R/RR comes with a Crankcase Emission Control System. Basically a system to reburn our dirty vapors. But we want to suck back in all clean new air to get the best burn. So how do we re route our bike to do this. Also All California models has an Evaporative Emission Control System but I don't think anyone here is from CA so it really doesn't apply.
#4 Kawasaki Clean Air System(KCA): I know there is a way to reroute this system to gain some ponies. Has anyone here done this yet? Have you dynoed it? I hear this gives some extra good low, mid, and high end power. Also I believe the tapping on our bikes comes from the Air Suction Valve which is a one way valve that is part of this system.
Any other tips, or ideas to create more FREE HP would be greatly appreciated.

I like my bike fast... and my women even faster!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
If you're hitting the rev limiter through the gears you are losing time. Plain and simple. Peak power stock, as mentioned, is around 12,500rpm. Even with an aftermarket exhaust, peak is only slightly higher in most cases (Akro cans move peak to around 13,200rpm)... if you're shifting late enough to hit the limiter, you're too late and power has tailed.

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
135 Posts
Originally posted by spud

It says 16K on the display, but turns out the actual rev limit is 14500. Once again the manufac lieing to the consumer.

Actually, the rev limit is 14,200 RPM. With the Race Kit ECU, you can up that limit to 14,500 RPM.

Scott

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi everyone, my first post in this forum, and i live in California so i guess i have the emissions control system on my new 636, is this something i want to take out? and how do i get rid of this?, thanks

·
Registered
671 Posts
Originally posted by winders

Originally posted by spud

Actually, the rev limit is 14,200 RPM. With the Race Kit ECU, you can up that limit to 14,5000 RPM.

Scott
Actually dynoed my bike, 1st thru 5th redlines at 14,500; 6th gear tops out at 15,500! Unfortunatly, my dyno sheet (/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3081) only shows my 2nd gear roll ons, not the top speed run (160mph!). And I believe that the race kit lets you run it to 16K, but I don't know if that is with the R or the RR model.

C-Ya.....Skiv
http://www.SportbikeLinks.net
'03 ZX6r
'91 ZX6d
http://www.geocities.com/skiv_here/6r.html

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, but glory lasts forever"

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Sealing up your airbox via removing the crankcase breather hose and removing the KCA do not really garner any additional power. They do however improve throttle response a great deal. Both these systems have hoses attached to the airbox. The crankcase breather is the larger one towards the rear of the airbox and heads straight down to the crancase (duh!). Simply remove this hose, seal up the hole in the airbox with a handy rubber plus and place a crankcase breather filter over that big hole above the transmission.The KCA set up consists of two seperate hoses attached to the airbox. One is on the corner and is the main supply line to the one way vavle, the other is what I believe to be some sort of pressure equalization hose, it is much smaller in diameter. Blank off plates are available from Kawasaki for the KCA that go on top of the valve cover. Also, there are four other smaller hoses that go from the one-way valve to each throttle body. Sealing up this entire set-up will save you a little weight and garner you some improved throttle response.

Chaos, panic, disorder......

my work here is done

·
Registered
349 Posts
The CA and 49 states should have no differences in power from emissions equip. The only difference in the models appears to be the evap canister. I checked Kawi's website and compared part #s in the exhaust and emissions and found no differences. The only difference is the canister. ECU part #'s are the same and just like my old RC, removing any emissions equip. provids no additional power, just weight loss, and not much at that.

BTW, I'm from CA[8D] and the weather is great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.