Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done research on this site concerning the CR9E-stock replacement and the CR9EK-two ground electrodes. Many have stated that the CR9EK will give a slight HP increase over the stock CR9E replacement. This is not true according to NGK's website where I found this from:
"It is important to note that multi-ground does not mean multi-spark, there will still only be one spark at a time. Therefore a multi-ground plug will not perform any better and may actually perform worse than a traditional plug, unless the engine is designed for a multiple ground plug."

So after reading that I went and searched for the best price on the stock replacement plug and found this site:
http://www.clubplug.net/retail_complete_ngk.html
Look for cr9e and you will see that they are only $2.19!!!!!!!

Hope this helps anyone in the near future since many will be doing winter maintenance.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
What NGK said is basically true. They are probably wrong in their assesment that it doesn't produce more (slightly) more hp. The only real test of this is back to back dyno runs which good ole Motoman seems to have. The why is only a guess but the Motoman seems to think it reduces the combustion chamber volume slightly. My own theory is that it is kinda like indexing plugs to get more hp. I know for a fact that situtating the electrode in the optimal position will produce more hp. I've been running the CR9EK and have had them in about 9,000 miles. At 10K I will pull them out and replace them. They are performing at least as well as the CR9E.

Most Susuki's use the dual electrode plug and they are designed exactly like the Kawasaki's. The ZX-12R uses a dual electrode plug and I am sure the don't do it because they just want to impress the bean counters.

Iridium and Platinum plugs don't do anything for performance, only for longivity.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now Im back to thinking that ill just get the CR9EK's. Why did you make life complicated again
j/k

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Either way it ain't gonna make much difference. At least you know that the CR9EK isn't going to make it run worse. I didn't it mostly because I was curious. This place has every NGK plug http://www.sparkplugs.com/ but I have found that ronayers.com has slightly better prices.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.