Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive heard this is probably the easiest way to bump compression. can u still run pump gas after doing this? do you need fatter cams, bigger valves or any other costly mods to go with it? how much will comp. go up?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I wouldn't try this by myself -- ask a licensed and knowledgeable bike engine mechanic.

Yes, a thinner engine gasket will bump compression. A thicker one will decrease compression.

'00 ZX6R silver

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Depending on the gasket, there are ones that are riveted together(ie 2000 zx6R).This is by far the easiest way to bump compression.(non-distructive).Motors are so mass produced that there are many good ones and some bad ones that just seem to get the lower end of the quality control scale.Blueprinting an engine will also have excellent results with long-term life factored in.Those Japanese fellows know their stuff.
Remember: for every gain there is a loss or trade off in the scale.

Jason

Everyone has their own thing.....

·
Registered
52 Posts
I know its not by much but if you change the compression will you not have to adjust the opening and closing of valves????????

Just a thought??

Dave!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Originally posted by kwakasdave

I know its not by much but if you change the compression will you not have to adjust the opening and closing of valves????????
No, just retard the ignition timing to avoid pinking (which negates any increase made by raising the compression), run Avgas or an Octane booster. It will make a difference but you would be far better off, measuring all of the different gaskets for all of the different models -F/G/J/A/B and seeing if they are any different in thickness and using the thinner one providing it doesnt obstruct the oilways/waterways etc. The gaskets usually use a hollow 'crush ring' in the gasket IIRC and machining this would not give you the desired result.

Ash

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ya know if you use a smaller base and head gasket to bump compression you also cause the piston to get closer to the head and remember the exhaust valve has to get out of the way. So better cams and stronger valve springs are always a plus. Why bump compression if you are not going to try and get all of it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.