Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

After nearly doing a straddle/split when putting my foot down on one of those big white turn arrows on the road at a stop light I decided it was time to get something better than work boots for wearing on the bike. I wound up at my local shop and picked up a set of these Shift Fuel Street Shoes.

I would like to start off by saying that I wanted to get a pair of A* s-mx2 shoes but found that they were way too stiff to wear to work and that they were way too narrow. These were pretty much the only shoes i found that felt comfy.

Pros:
  • I have a size triple E foot so it’s hard to find something wide enough. These however fit perfect.
  • The grip on the slippery surfaces is also fantastic.
  • it feels like the rubber ridges they set up for the shifter are in the right position so I imagine the shoe will have no problems wearing out due to shifting.
  • reflective material on the sides and back of the boot increase your visibility to drivers
  • only 100 bucks
cons:
  • the styling leaves me feeling that I’m in the 80's or 90's
  • They are just about the most difficult shoes in the world to put on because of how they have set the laces up. It’s just not easy to get the laces lose enough to put your foot in and then lace them back up. i wish they would have been zip up boots or something
  • The tongues rub against the laces and squeeeeeeek like crazy every time you take a step.
  • The majority of the outside of the boot is made of suede which I doubt will do well in the rain.

EDIT:

At first I wondered "why the hell are these boots 100 dollars when every other boot out there costs 150 or more..." well now I know. After only one month if riding with these things the rubber nub things that make contact with your shifter have already fallen off. It appears that they are held on by some sort of super glue or something. Not only that but I’m starting to see some fraying on the left foot where the tongue meets the rest of the shoe. I’m going to the store today to buy some sidi boots. I’ve learned my lesson.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for this write-up. I had narrowed my choices down and this was one.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have these also. I have had them for about 5 months now and wear them to work in a wearhouse. They are FANTASTIC. The only con is that when my bike gets really hot and the rubber on the sole gets really hot, it starts to get soft and rip away.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just bought a pair as well. With my size 12 foot I just can't get comfortable with the usual Frankenboot style of most motorcycle boots. The laces can be a pain as you have to loosen several rows to get them on but they fit very well. Mine don't squeek, but the tongue of the right shoe has a seam the rubs my ankle bone in a painful way. It is starting to wear in and the discomfort is going down so I only expect it to get better. They don't appear to offer as much protection as a track style boot but these are much more practical IMO.

As to the style: I keep thinking of the "Terminator" movie when Reese grabbed some clothes from a department store. There is a shot of him pulling the Velcro strap closed on a pair that look much like the Fuels. Ah, the 80s.

Tim

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have these too and love them!

- They're fairly similar in style to the normal tennis shoes I wear (New Balance 476's) and with jeans you can't tell they're a quasi-boot type shoe.
- I've learned to just loosen the top 3 laces to get the shoes on or off and that seems to work great.
- Mine don't squeak, but the tongue in the right shoe has a crease that kind of pushes on the top of my foot.
- They're comfortable enough to wear all day.

I'm just curious how good they'd support your ankle in a crash.

New Balance 476's

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hmm, I haven't had any trouble with mine falling apart, or seams coming apart, but honestly I don't wear them every time I ride.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts