Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I just went to the track for the first time yesterday. Not too bad for it being my first bike, and only had it for a month and a half. 2002 6R, totally stock, 11.8 @ 118mph. I gotta pull a lot off my 60' with some more launch practice. The point it is that on my first run I rev limited 2nd by accident, so then my second run i think i shifted too early. Its too hard to look down at the tach at those speeds, but with the stock exhaust i cant really tell what the revs are by the sound. Over 10k it sounds the same. Anybody ever attached a shift light on the gauge cluster? Just curious if you can get that kinda thing for a bike.

Oh, and if anybody has any advice for cutting down my drag ETs, that'd be helpful too [^]

Thanx - Tom

·
Registered
700 Posts
how much does the shift light really help?

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
ive been wondering the same. i use the engine sound to shift or at certain rpms. is it used mostly for racing? and did you have to program it to your shifting pattern?

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
I don't think a shift light is required for street riders. Only track.

Most of the programmable ones I have seen didn't allow the shift point to be selected below 10,000-12,000 RPM. Do you guys redline your bikes on the street? I sure don't.

-Flash

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
so its not worth it for street then

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
I heard some newer ones allow a 5,000 RPM start and 500 RPM increments. That would work for the street.

I'd rather have a gear indicator though.

-Flash

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the links guys, I'll check them out.

Yeah, I dont see why you'd need a light for the street. I only want it for the drag strip so I dont have to take my eyes off the track to see the tach, and in a lot of cases its hard to tell 12500 from 11500 by sound...

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
You really don't need to be trying to hit the limiter when dragging. After 12,500 or thereabouts, get shifting. Power is just about tapped out and it gives you time to react and get it into gear. You'll pull harder getting into gear quicker, than trying to get that last 1K. That gives you plenty of time to concentrate on the tach. Which is what you should be doing anyway.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I realize that power is maxed at 12500, so thats when I want to shift. Im not new to drag racing, just new to racing bikes. Just doesnt seem safe to me to be watching a tach while going like a bat out of hell down a strip of pavement on 2 wheels. I accidentally tached out second on one of my runs, and then I think I was being too conservative after that trying to avoid it. A light would just be nice for consistency.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to launch? A suggested RPM to hold before you let off the clutch? How fast to let the clutch out? Any suggestions would be great. I'd like to get it down to like 11.3 before I change the bike from stock. Dont want to compensate for learning the skill by bolting on HP. Gotta get that 60 foot down...

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
The conventional wisdom for launches seems to be 7K to 8K and feather the clutch out as needed right to the point of wheel spin. That would be for the best launch, but no so great on your check book.

With a good launch, you should be able to break a 10 with no sweat in Jersey.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Wouldn't take long to burn up a clutch that way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.