Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK so this is my first problem in 12,000 miles. I shift in to 3rd and it will kinda buck and then fall right back into 2nd gear. So for the past few days I've just been skiping 3rd and I have had no issues with any other gear. Please help it's my daily driver and I can't afford for it to be down long. I've been told by locals it sounds like bent shift fork. Thanks to everyone in advance I know you'll all put in your $.02.
Crytsr1

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anytime I am in 3rd it will buck and fall back to 2nd. Shifting either up from 2nd or down from 4th.

·
Powerhungry
38,386 Posts
probably bent forks, and worn dogs.
pretty common on here.

try a search for 2nd gear. or trans problems.

i know your problem is 3rd, but 2nd is more common.
btw, i had the SAME prob with mine, 2nd AND 3rd.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How expencive and difficult is this problem to repair? I am fairly mechanicly inclinded but have never worked on a trans.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i've just run into the exact same problem. jumping out of second at high revs, and not wanting to go into second or fourth. 11,500 miles wth

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Do you often upshift without the clutch???? If so, then I would suspect that is what caused the problem.

The 2nd gen. 636 transmissions are prone to having problems. The shift forks wear, also 2nd and 3rd gear round off. Eventually, the bike will start popping out of gear (usually 2nd). That's probably what he's experiencing, only it's third gear this time.

·
Powerhungry
38,386 Posts
The 2nd gen. 636 transmissions are prone to having problems. The shift forks wear, also 2nd and 3rd gear round off. Eventually, the bike will start popping out of gear (usually 2nd). That's probably what he's experiencing, only it's third gear this time.
yep. mine was 2nd, AND 3rd.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
sound like the dogs on 3rd gear are gone.

·
Powerhungry
38,386 Posts
sound like the dogs on 3rd gear are gone.
sadly..u cant just stop there.
i dont remember the exact relation in the trans. but 3rd joins another gear....maybe 6th?

i knoe for me, i had to replace 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 6th.

im thinking maybe 2nd drives 5th, and 3rd drives 6th. so if 3rd is worn, its corresponding gear will most likely be worn aswell.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts