Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already posted this In the newbie section but I'll repost it here for those more experienced. let me introduce myself, my name is idiot beginner driver, I was *my 1999 Kawasaki ninja 250r in the parking lot to practice and I hit the neutral shift before stopping witch the clutch ofcourse and my bike stalled and since then I can not see the neutral light which means it's on first gear when I start the ignition and I cant get it back to neutral no matter what I try! What should I do guys? Thanks, sorry for m stupidity.*

· Registered
425 Posts
So when the bike is stationary, going from first gear and lifting the lever puts you in second gear? I'm not sure when the Kawi Positive Neutral Finder came in but I think you should probably have one. Just make sure you're totally stationary when you try to get N

· Registered
1,708 Posts
pull clutch in, roll back and forth, shift DOWN

also remember how the gearing is
1-N-2-3-4-5-6

im guessing you're at 2 or above

if you were in 1st gear, you should be able to shift UP to get into N with the bike stationary

if you are in 2nd or above, you NEED to be moving in order to shift up or down
clutch held in of course

so lets say you are actually in 4th gear
you hold clutch in
rock the bike
shift down
now you are in 3rd gear
repeat until you get to N

· Registered
329 Posts
Bike does that occasionally, especially during fairly aggressive braking maneuvers. You're slowing down in 5th gear, holding the clutch in, and you're kicking down on the shifter yet the shifter isn't clicking down. Just release the clutch into the friction zone, re-engage, and you should be able to kick it back down to first (assuming you're still slowing down.) If you're stopped and you're still locked into gear, do what Richard suggested, or hold the brake while performing the clutching technique described above.

· Registered
238 Posts
This happens to me every so often as well. I just let the clutch off slowly until the bike starts rolling and then pull the clutch all the way in and shift up a gear and I'm able to bring it back down into neutral.

· Registered
8 Posts
I know this sounds kinda stupid... but is it possible that when you're shifting up from 1st and down from 2nd that you're pushing too hard? I only mention it because I made that mistake for the entire first hour of my motorcycle class and felt like an idiot when the instructor informed me that a half step means a half step, not a full stomp up or down. :)

I hope you get it sorted out either way! Good luck :D

· Registered
12 Posts
I have the Ninja 250r 201 model.

Some times when i am shifting from 1 to 2 gears even on high revs and the bike is doing 25 mph or more or coming from 2 to 1 , i many a times hit neutral.

This should not happen as the bike has positive neutral finder which gets activated when bike is stationary... rite..?

· Registered
1,708 Posts
I have the Ninja 250r 201 model.

Some times when i am shifting from 1 to 2 gears even on high revs and the bike is doing 25 mph or more or coming from 2 to 1 , i many a times hit neutral.

This should not happen as the bike has positive neutral finder which gets activated when bike is stationary... rite..?
201?!?!?!
wow!
idk kawasaki was around back then :D

the PNF kicks in at very slow speed and stationary

to OP, have someone push you on the bike while you shift down
clutch in or course
once it stop clicking down, you're in first
then half-step up to N

you said that bike still runs, just ride it w/o putting it in neutral

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.