Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 zx-6r and when I shift up or down the shifter will not return to the middle and I have to do it manually with my foot before I can shift to the next gear.

Anyone have an idea how I can fix this?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had the same problem when my shifter was stuck to the foot peg. The whole assembly was rotating on the bolt connecting the peg to the rear set (This would normally not happen)

Check if your foot peg rotates with the shifter...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no spring on my shifter like my brake but I don't think there ever was one. Or is the return spring located with the shift plates?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
There is no spring on my shifter like my brake but I don't think there ever was one. Or is the return spring located with the shift plates?
The spring is internal near the shift drum, it keeps the shift lever in a centered position. If you can easily click the shift lever down and it doesn't return automatically return to center when you let go but easily can be moved back to center with your hand without binding, the spring is the culprit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The spring is internal near the shift drum, it keeps the shift lever in a centered position. If you can easily click the shift lever down and it doesn't return automatically return to center when you let go but easily can be moved back to center with your hand without binding, the spring is the culprit.
That sounds exactly it. Am I going to need to pull off all the shift plates to get to this spring?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts