Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after recently acquiring a 96 900rr, I am unhappy with the long throw from 1st to 2nd on my '97 zx6r. I don't hit neutral on the 6r very often anymore when shifting, but the RR is sooooooo much easier.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Hahahahahahaha. Hey mvrk1, are ya liking that 900rr? Is it like night and day, as far as wheelies are concerned, compared to the 6r?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Nevermind, I picked up my 929rr about four days ago!!!!:D
Now I know what you mean about the shift from first to second. It feels really short, like you're actually hitting neutral, and not second, but it always shifts, even if you half-ass it. The Honda gearbox is so smooth. I love my 6r, but the 929 has sooooo much power and the throttle response is ungodly.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i don't know about you guys.. but my 03 zx6r shifts into seconds really fast.. like i barely have to flick the shifter... but maybe my local shop just set up the bikes real well.. they have a good tech dept.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Tommyv, sorry for the delay. I hadn't been watching this thread. I love the RR. I can just imagine how nice the 929 is! It's really cool to have the front end just start to lift on when you're on wide open throttle. My 6r is nice to wheelie, but it won't do that. I've noticed it's got a smoother pull all through the powerband also. the 6r seems a little twitchy now.

Gotta love the short throw, huh?! It's practically impossible to screw up the shift into second.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Deftone636, maybe your bike has a better gearbox or something. from 95 to 97 the 6r didn't change much. I have a 97 and tommyv has a 96. I still love my ninja, and I'm happy to hear that it sounds like they've improved it. Does it even still have the "positive neutral finder"?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Originally posted by mvrk1

Hey Tommyv, sorry for the delay. I hadn't been watching this thread. I love the RR. I can just imagine how nice the 929 is! It's really cool to have the front end just start to lift on when you're on wide open throttle. My 6r is nice to wheelie, but it won't do that. I've noticed it's got a smoother pull all through the powerband also. the 6r seems a little twitchy now.

Gotta love the short throw, huh?! It's practically impossible to screw up the shift into second.
Yes, the wide open throttle effortless wheelie is sweet:D If I stand up, I can get it to come up pretty fast in second just by giving it a small bounce and powering it up. Haven't tried in third yet, but I'm sure it will. This bike is sick [:p]

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I think I know what you're talking about. It's not really an extra effort thing, it's just that the ZX likes to let you know it's found it's way into second gear with a little bit harder "clunk" noise as I say than the other gears. It's not that it's harder to shift it or takes more effort, it just let's you know that you're in second.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It feels like a longer shift, Ken. The PNF causes you to shift into neutral instead of second if you don't shift firmly and lift the lever far enough. This typically happens to me when my g/f is on the back and I'm trying to shift gently to make the ride smooth for her. It's less likely to happen if you are "preloading" the shift lever or shifting agressively.

Sloppy shift from 1st to 2nd = you just hit neutral.

On the 900RR this doesn't happen. It feels like the shift lever doesn't have to travel as far. And of course Honda doesn't have the PNF. The result is that I have never accidentally hit neutral on the Honda.

It sounds like maybe Kawasaki improved the gear box after the 95 to 97 model, since you guys with newer bikes don't seem to have this problem as much.

I don't want to make it sound like the Kawi is bad. It's just that Honda does it better in this particular department. When I hit neutral on the kawi, it's always a result of rider error. I just think it's nice that you can't make that error on the Honda.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I don't know about the 929, but I rode my buddy's 954 the other day and boy is that one clunky, hard to shift bastard. I would think that the tranny on the 929 and 954 would be the same b/c a 954 is just a punched out 929. If you guys call that smooth you have lost your minds. I will admit it has a small throw and you definitely know it is in gear, but I just can't get over the clunk it makes everytime you shift. Even when you use the clutch it makes the same noise. That bike is also hard to lean but once it starts it does not want to stop. Throttle is a bit unpredictable too. One second you are accelerating normally then you roll on the throttle just a little and you get a power surge that lifts it straight in the air. The smoothness of the throttle response could be alot better. And what in the world did they use for that seat padding? Feels like you are sitting on a rock. The gas tank is more comfortable.

·
Registered
295 Posts
i know how you feel. i have a 96 6r, and the throw from first to second is totally different (and longer) than on my friends gixxer 750, but i'm used to it since my 6r was my first bike. it's no problem for me, just know your bike and it should be fine.

·
Registered
295 Posts
i know how you feel. i have a 96 6r, and the throw from first to second is totally different (and longer) than on my friends gixxer 750, but i'm used to it since my 6r was my first bike. it's no problem for me, just know your bike and it should be fine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Originally posted by mvrk1
Deftone636, maybe your bike has a better gearbox or something. from 95 to 97 the 6r didn't change much. I have a 97 and tommyv has a 96. I still love my ninja, and I'm happy to hear that it sounds like they've improved it. Does it even still have the "positive neutral finder"?
Yes, the 03 still has the positive neutral finder.

Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.