Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm brand new here.

My current problem is with my 1987 ZX750. Whenever I'm over 7,000RPM and I shift into 3rd it feels like it hits a false neutral and then I have to slow back down to be able to shift it back into first gear. If I do not slow down then when I try to shift it into gear it jsut grinds like crazy. Is the problem me, the clutch, or the transmission.
If it is me do I just have to shift harder, pull the clutch in longer, or....?

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Hey David, my 1988 zx750 and also the 1990 zx7 required a firm shift.

By the way, how is your oil and what do you use?

·
Registered
273 Posts
yeah.. chekc the oil.. and use good shit.. i recommend the kawi sythetic.. mine loves it.. every 7 i've ever owned has been a loud shifter from first to second.. but like drag one said.. shift it pretty firm and you shouldnt have issues with that false neutral...but being a former racer.. i tend to shift a bit aggressively anywyas... i actually broke the shift linkage tie rod last week while down shifting...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks a bunch guys. As for the oil I use, I dont know. I just bought the bike 2 weeks ago and they changed everything from the tires to the pads. I'll defintely try the synthetic oil like you said. I think my problem were my shoes, the were really low in height (I'm buying boots soon, the jacket and helmet had to come first) so it was a stretch to bring my fot up.

Also, what kind of oil should I use? I heard that there's no difference between mototrcycle and car oil too but I try not to believe rumors.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Right on LmidgitD been there and still doing it.

I have never tried synthetics in my 750 or the 7r. A firm shift is a must though with clean oil. I ran Castrol 20/50 for my area.

Area at the time was sea level or pretty close to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.