Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey guys, i just want to put my .02 in in regarding shifting.
A) like previous mentioned, racing i don't use a clutch when climbing through gears but down shifting i snap throttle and use the clutch.

B) Car, pickup, big rig and anything else. if you don't use your clutch and just pound gears, you do actually cause clutch damage b/c your shocking the discs, springs, wear plates etc.

Now.. the damage is minimal... but over repeated occurances say a full season of hard racing... it takes it's toll... and last time i priced out a clutch for my 07 250f... it wasn't cheap.

Ive also heard... some guys that race pull the clutch only about 1/2 way... a medium...

It all comes down to your preferance... if your not handy and want reliability... clutch it... if you love wrenching and got the extra cash if need be.. hammer down.

Profesional opinion in regards to MX.... i suggest clutching in lighter riding like around the neighbourhood or trail riding...

Clutchless for racing.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
If you've ever gone through the grief of replacing a motorcycle transmission (or the grief of having to pay someone else to do it) ... Just use the clutch. Its the safe bet.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
hey guys, i just want to put my .02 in in regarding shifting.

B) Car, pickup, big rig and anything else. if you don't use your clutch and just pound gears, you do actually cause clutch damage b/c your shocking the discs, springs, wear plates etc.

Now.. the damage is minimal... but over repeated occurances say a full season of hard racing... it takes it's toll... and last time i priced out a clutch for my 07 250f... it wasn't cheap.
Dog box in motor cycle.
Syncro box in car/truck.
Not the same.

If a dog box is shifted properly, without using the clutch, no more than normal wear will occur. In other words:THE SAME EXACT WEAR AS USING THE CLUTCH PROPERLY. Look into how it works.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts