Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a very newbie question but here it goes:

I recently got an 06 Ninja 250 and was wondering if shifting up multiple gears (1st to 3rd/4th OR 3rd/4th to 1st) is bad for the transmission / clutch?

My father told me it was a bad idea to shift multiple gears but he's not 100% sure himself.

I googled the question and found this answer but wasn't sure if it applied to the Ninja 250

"If you have four downshifts to execute for a corner, that means a total of four clutch movements and four blips (one of each per gear) because a sequential transmission likes to be reloaded between shifts."

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Disagree with the Google answer.

Shifting up you'll use the gears in sequence, but shifting down, not only is it OK, but if you're slowing for a stop it's actually the correct thing to keep the clutch in while shifting down - slow on the brakes, pull the clutch in and hold it in while you shift down so that the correct gear for the road speed is always engaged. Then when you accelerate again you've got the correct gear selected.

If you're braking hard you don't even have time to release the clutch after each downshift. If you're just slowing gently you can release the clutch and use some engine braking, but not otherwise. This applies if you need to shift down multiple gears for a corner as well - it depends on how hard you're braking. Blipping is sometimes needed for rev matching, but one blip is enough and often not needed at all - especially on the street.

Rob

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Actually it isn't skip shifting. You can't skip shift a sequential box. It has to engage each gear in turn. What you can do though, is not release the clutch between shifts, and that's the correct thing to do when braking to a halt or coming down multiple gears in a hurry under heavy braking.

Can't think of any reason why anyone should ever want do it shifting up though.

Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts