Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've read a lot of threads that this bike apparently has some shifting issues but I didn't really see a solution or a problem that described how my bike is acting. To begin, the problem with my bike is that when I shift past 2nd I run into the problems. Shifting up I have to tap the gear lever down a little and then shift up, this continues all the way up till 6th and does the same thing usually coming back down- I'll have to tap up in order to shift down each gear. I'm no mechanic and haven't done any tearing apart and self diagnostics to it yet. Definitely cannot afford to take it to a repair shop to have them check it out. So I figured I'd see if any of ya guys have had the same issue ever or would/could identify the problematic part and/or have a specific solution towards the issue?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Hello and welcome!

What year is your bike? It could be the gear positioning lever spring is worn out/stretched.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a 2007 has like 13,000 miles on it if I remember correctly. And okay, so maybe start off with replacing that or at least looking at to see if it’s worn out when I take the bike apart?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
It is a 2007 has like 13,000 miles on it if I remember correctly. And okay, so maybe start off with replacing that or at least looking at to see if it’s worn out when I take the bike apart?
Yes, I would at least check it to make sure the spring is as it should be.

·
Registered
106 Posts
trying to import parts breakdown ...hey I did it! Anyways, you can clearly see 4 springs, but 92145 and 92145A are your likely suspects. In view of the fact they are so inexpensive, order both, have on hand before opening crankcase. Not an uncommon incident.

Screenshot (1).png screenshot

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
trying to import parts breakdown ...hey I did it! Anyways, you can clearly see 4 springs, but 92145 and 92145A are your likely suspects. In view of the fact they are so inexpensive, order both, have on hand before opening crankcase. Not an uncommon incident.

View attachment 137281 View attachment 137281 screenshot
This is super helpful!! Thank you very much, you guys are awesome!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

View attachment 137281 View attachment 137281 screenshot
Sorry, I still have a question as to the diagram. I went to this site to get the parts, entered my bike info and went the the "Gear Change Mechanism" Diagram, but mine looks completely different and I'm unsure where you found your diagram. Here's what mine looks like..

·
Registered
106 Posts
My error, you never did advise your complete year accompanied by exact model # in your original post. I should have insisted more complete info before jumping in. But you are on the right repair path now. You'll find loose hardware or a broken or dislodged spring contributing to your shift condition.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts