Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 06 ZX6R about 2 weaks ago, and everything has been fine for the most part, still going throught the break in routine. I have only had a problem with it twice, it seems that when I come to a stop after the bike has gotten warm(200*-210*), the bike does not want to shift gears. I pull the clutch in and try click up or down a gear and I get nothing. Not a click...nothing no feedback of any kind. Am I doing somthing wrong? what should I check for? The clutch has been adjusted for slack and it is good. Anyone else have this problem, please shed some light. Should I just take it back to Kawi and let them have my bike for a week?:(
Thanks for any input.
M

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried that, worried that I might break the peg. *shoudn't have to shift any harder than I was trying.
M

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Most bike will really only change gears if the gearbox internals are moving, so you have to shift while you are still moving, or if you're stationary, let the clutch out a little bit every gearchange or two.

Also, Kawasakis have a "Positive Neutral Finder" which prevents you from shiting into anything but neutral if you're stationary and in first gear.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the problem is usually when I slow down as I am getting to a stop sign/light and I am in 3rd gear+, I tend to stop and then go down to 1st or neutral and it won't do anything, it stays engaged in the gear then I was in before I stopped.
M

·
Registered
164 Posts
Like nigel said most bikes need to be rolling basically for the gearbox to want to shift. Follow his instructions and you can downshift at a stop but the best remedy is to get it down to first before you come to a stop. I did a panic stop in 6th gear once and I had a bit of trouble getting it back in first. doesnt sound like an issue with the bike though. HTH

·
Registered
550 Posts
It's not a synchronized tranny like a car has, so sometimes shit just won't line up when you're sitting still. Roll the bike a hair and try again. Is this your first bike, or just a new one? That's common with all bikes, enough so that most people avoid the situation without even thinking about it. Go ahead and click down the gears as you're rolling to a stop - you don't have to let the clutch out and use the gear, just slowly go down through the gears (don't just click down to 1st while going 60mph, do it at appropriate speeds as if you were going to let the clutch out, even if you don't.) When normal driving if I'm cruising around in 6th, as I slow down I'll click it to 4th and let the clutch out, then click it to 2nd and let the clutch out, then click it into 1st and just brake to a stop. All leisurely done, but still done while rolling to let the tranny work smoothly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have had your problem as well. It usually happens to me when I am in neutral and it feels like it just locks up. Just tap down a gear and ease the clutch out. You wont feel anything until the clutch starts disengaging. When you feel it grab pull the clutch back in.

Be safe.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Rock it back and forth!!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Originally posted by kilaman
Rock it back and forth!!
[:+1]

And get it into 1st before you stop, if nothing else have your bike ready to launch quick if you need to, just incase some dickhead didn't see you or the dickhead behind him didn't stop in time and smashes him up the arse who in turn hits you.

We get taught to have the bike ready to go as quick as you can whenever you come to a stop,

they fail you if the bike isn't in 1st when you stop.

·
Registered
230 Posts
All my kawi's kinda did that sometimes, all you have to do is let the clutch out to the friction zone, but you don't need to move anywhere, just let it engage, THEN try clicking it into gears... Always worked for me...

kow wee

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is the first bike I have owned, so some things are catching me by surprise, I did exactly what you guys are talking about, after I couldn't click it down standing still I tried rolling it a bit but that didn't help so I let it engage a little in the gear it was in and then it worked. I am glad this is not an issue with the bike then, I didn't want to take it in to the dealer(too much fun you know?)

Jason, I got mine about 2 weeks ago. Where in fort worth you from ? what color bike?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll really have to work on getting it into 1st BEFORE I stop[^] I swear its the little things that are going to own me!
M

·
Registered
306 Posts
keep workin at it soon it'll be natural, congrats on the new bike, take it easy and be sake, and just so you know you are know infected, lol

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have been so frustrated, I haven't been able to ride it for the fun of it, I have just commuted acouple of times. I was going to ride to work today but it rained, oh well! MSF course this coming weekend.
M

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.