Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i was leaving my house today I noticed that the shifter was a little stiff, I didn't think anything of it because it was getting cold out. But when I got the the first set of lights, it wouldn't shift into first, I could still shift up and down from second to sixth. When I pressed the shifter down, it would move, but not change the gears.
At the next light it did the same thing but this time i couldn't get any lower than third.
Eventually (after pulling over) I got it into first, for the rest of the ride I didn't have any problems.
Other than lubricating the linkage, any suggestions as to what the problem/solution is?

·
Registered
89 Posts
were you downshifting while you were still rolling because my bike wont downshift either unless im moving. If i come to a stop in third it wont go to first. You have to downshift let off the clutch a ltiitle the pull it in and do it again until u get to first. Only if you are stopped

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by grasp

were you downshifting while you were still rolling because my bike wont downshift either unless im moving. If i come to a stop in third it wont go to first. You have to downshift let off the clutch a ltiitle the pull it in and do it again until u get to first. Only if you are stopped
Yah I know what you mean by that, But it has problems down shifting while rolling, and then by the time I brake to a stop at the light I still haven't been able to downshift.

Tommorow I'm going to do an oil change, and see if that helps. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Do you upshift or downshift w/o the clutch sometimes and occasionally miss gears? Kinda sounds like the shift fork or possibly the shift drum itself. I hope not but that is my shot in the dark.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i hope its not that too, sounds exspensive, I've never shifted without cluth so that wouldn't have cause it. I'll take a look at it tommorow and let you know if it gets fixed.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I took the day off school and decided to fix the motorcyle, and that I did.
All I did was adjust the long bar (kawasaki web site calls it a rod-tie) just underneath the shifter so it was a little bit shorter. Shifting seems fine again, I just hope I didn't mask over the real problem. Anyways thanks for your help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.