Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '03 ZX6R and I've got some problems up-shifting. It seems that it takes a hell of a lot of upward travel before shifting into the next gear. Sometimes, I'll pull in the clutch and upshift and I won't hear or feel a thing and it turns out I'm not in the next higher gear. So, this causes the engine to over-rev and I have to shift AGAIN!!! Anybody else have this problem? Is there anyway to adjust the pedal? Will switching to synthetic help? If the oil helps smooth out the shifting it won't happen for a while because I only have 943 miles on my bike and I'm waiting for it to get to 1500 before I switch to synthetic.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
oil should help, but you should be able to adjust your shifter...almost all bike allow you to adjust them...

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd hate to ask the obvious without looking it up in my manual or doing a search but how do you do that?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
There is a shifting rod between your shift lever and tranny shaft. There is a nut on each end of that rod. Loosen both of them. Be careful, one has left hand threads and the other has right hand threads. Don't remember which is which right now. Turn the rod, your shift will move up or down depending on which way you turn it. The way I set mine is so the shift lever is just touching my foot in my normal riding position. Then, lock the nuts back down and shifts will be more effortless.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet, thanks mello. I was thinking about that but then I saw the way Ducati has their adjustable pedals and I thought, damn... it sucks I can't adjust mine!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Sounding a bit like idiot but riding a bit more usually helps for you to get used to it.[:I] I would suggest you ask the dealer to give it a quick ride before messing up with settings. It might also depend on what boots you are using.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm using Sidi Vertebra boots. I have another motorcycle (500R) and it doesn't have that problem. It seems like it takes much more movement to shift into gear. I've been riding for 3 months now and I don't think it has anything to do with getting used to it. Thanks for the help, though. Oh, and I don't trust dealerships.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Each bike is defferent, when I first got my 6r I missed a few shifts...After my bike is broke in and I learned to be alittle more accertive, I haven't missed one in over a year....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.