Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I got my brand new red 06 kawasaki ninja 500r yesterday and have been riding pretty much non-stop since then :). I've got a question about shifting that has come up while I have been riding. How do you go about stopping when coming to a red light in 6th gear? Mind you im not going that fast, only 50 (the speed limit) but I have to be in 6th to keep it at 4k rpms as im still breaking it in. Do you Shift down through all the gears or is it okay to just pull in the clutch and brake, and just shift from 6th to first? I know you dont want to coast in a car with the clutch in, so I wouldnt think its different on a motorcycle. btw ive been shifting through the gears as best as I can but usually will come up to a stop and shift from 3rd to 1st. Thanks fo r any responses

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
You should always shift as you decelerate; it will keep you in the proper gear "just in case", and help slow you down. Also, until you get that tranny broken in, it will be much easier going trough the gears (in either direction) when moving.

I'm guessing from your question that you haven't taken the MSF course? Take it; you'll learn more than you think, and it might jsut save your a** one day...

Enjoy the new bike.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have taken the msf course, however we only ever got up into 3rd gear and even then only for a second. I understand the need to be in the proper gear just in case, i was just asking if I am damaging the engine or clutch. It is something I try to do, just being a new rider is a bit intimidating and ive had to do it a handful of times. I dont mean to sound like a jerk, Im trying to learn as safely as I can, and am worried about causing any damage

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Shifting down won't hurt it. Just don't do it at high rpm's while breaking it in. Be easy for now, then after the first oil change you can start getting harder on it. These things are tanks, don't worry about hurting it. BTW, the 500R was my first bike and I loved it, great starter bike!

·
Registered
875 Posts
I'm in the same boat.... new 06, but mine is green.
My MSF instructor did mention something about motorcycle clutches being different than car clutches and therefore not wearing nearly as much when held in to coast to a stop, but he didn't go into specifics.

Anyway, shifting down as you slow does help the break-in, as you are loading the engine on both acceleration and decceleration - ie engine breaking.

Keep doin what you're doin and keep that clutch in while you are in 1st gear at a light, just in case you need to get away from someone coming up behind you who doesn't see you.

PS - Green is faster!![}:)]

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I probably shift way too much, but I always try to row through the gears when decelerating and coming to a stop. Sometimes you just can't, really, but I've always been told that it's best (and most convenient). Sometimes the bikes are a pain to get to go all the way down to first at an idle/stop without any load on them.... or at least in my experience.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Some of you guys pull the clutch in and shift all the way down to 1st? You guys are crazy. But yeah go through each gear when your slowing down releasing the clutch every downshift.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
If you are in 6th gear and want to stop, close the throttle, pull the clutch in + down shift + blip the throttle all at the same time and let go of the clutch. That will match your rpm to your rear tire and will slow you down. Keep doing that until you are in 1st gear.

·
Registered
875 Posts
red handles better!!
Good one[:p]

Plus, practice with downshifting and blipping the throttle will help you get a feel and be smoother when you need to downshift quickly right before a trun or even in a turn[:0] should you need to.... though I try to stay away from doing this.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah ive got the blip and shifting down, its just the other traffic on the road can do unpredictable things as we all know and I dont always have time to shift through all the gears before coming to a stop.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
Congrats on both of your purchases. Ride safe and welcome to the forum.

--David

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.