Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've had my 2006 250R for about a month now, and I've had this happen probably a dozen times - shifting to neutral when riding. It has happened at least twice when accelerating from 1st to 2nd gear, and a few times when shifting into 6th.

I thought these bikes had a sensor to only allow shifting into neutral when stopped? My thought on the shifting to 6th is maybe I didn't pull the clutch in all the way or release too early, could this cause it? As for going into neutral from 1st when riding, I have no idea why that should or would happen.

Should I take it in or can I check something myself?

Thanks,
ISCE

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
you can try to adjust your clutch lever. sometimes, when my lever is loose (and i would have to pull all the way into engage the clutch) i seem to get stuck "between" gears. sounds like what's happening to you. i have my clutch set so i only have to pull about half way to engage. i have small hands, so it works out pretty well. i still do it sometimes (even after 15,000 miles) when i'm tired or being lazy. clutchless shifting can also help. instead of using the clutch, you can blip the throttle and on the let out, shift.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Sounds like false neutrals or not shifting through the neutral to me.

I get this often. 1st to 2nd I used to get neutral all the time. 5th to 6th is a common false neutral on 250s, I've had it once, i've gotten one between 2nd and 3rd before too...

In other words, don't worry about it. Just focus on giving a more firm click up with your foot.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The 5th to 6th is a false neutral
1st to 2nd your just not pulling up hard enough on the lever and or releasing the clutch too soon. After you have been riding longer both these problems should go away when you get more used to shifting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I have been trying to be very intentional to pull the clutch all the way and keep it held until I finish the full shift. I have not had it happen again. My guess is as some say that I was not fully pulling the clutch in, and I will just get more used to it. Guess I was getting into a bad habbit.

I am just glad to hear there isn't something wrong, just technique. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
i dont think its your pulling in the clutch because you can do clutchless upshifts and itll go in to the next gear (not recommend) but i think its more you needing to push up harder... if you dont already try wearing some boots something with a hard toe area not like regular shoes itll be easier to push up with hope that helps

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.