Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, first off, its probly a worn out part... i have 23k miles on the bike 05 zzr 600

now for my troubles. the problem has been getting progresivly worse over the past two years, it has been missing second gear and falling into neutral. yesterday while rideing two up, it was missing second, speed sfiting was hitting neutal (never done that before) and on a couple downshifts, it would either bounce out of 1st and back into neutral, or, somwere inbetween were you could hear the gears and such just smacking the HELL out of the insides of my bike

my friend sugested purchasing an oem shift kit? retail to be about 200 bucks

any idea what the shift kit contains? and does anyone else have a sugestion?

plan on doing it when the cold sets in... if i have the money

thanks for any help in advance

·
Registered
155 Posts
It could also be a lazy toe of yours. Remember to be quick with the shifts, also it could be damaged from have a lazy toe or improperly shifting. I dont know what all the shift kit includes, but it might be a good idea to do some repairs depending on what it is.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, hopping back on the bike today, it was shifting fine could the 2up affect my problem?

lazy toe, i can belive, done that a few times to many with clutched shifting... just NEVER with clutchless.

does 200 sound about right for a shift kit? while im doing it, any upgrades i should consider?

·
Registered
451 Posts
A lot of people have been having problems with their bikes falling out of 2nd, including me. I'm going to take my bike in for some warranty work (I don't think the rings set right), and while they are diagnosing my oil burning, I'm going to have them check out the tranny.

·
Registered
374 Posts
postal, I was burning some oil too when using synthetic.. switched to petroleum based and dont seem to be using any... I was using about half a quart in 2000 miles before I swapped ..

As far as shifting goes,the tranny is the weak link on our bikes.. have to be very consistent or I miss or hang up in a gear also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.