Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, what up? Just wondering if shiftin without the clutch is bad for my bike? In a car you can actually save your clutch life by learning this method. Does this apply to motorcycles as well? Also, is this the same as blippin? I know about matching your engine speed with wheel speed, I've just never heard (blippin-g)this terminology before.[?]

Thanks

Parol Officers suck.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You can shift without clutch, you gotta drop the throttle a bit shift and give it throttle again. i heard it called 'speed shifting' but i can promise you it HORRIBLE for your bike.

·
Registered
631 Posts
sure you can shift without the clutch on a car and save the clutch, but you will also have to change the synchro's in about a year or so, same thing on a bike.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Sure you can. Up shift is easy, down is harder to get smooth. In any case it's bad for the bike. Have to say I do it sometimes on freeway when I feel lazy. [}:)]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Makes sense that the syncro's would wear quicker.

So speedshifting is no good uh. Alright, thats cool, but what about blipping the throttle. . .
No response so I assume it's not the same. Just looking for as many tricks as I can find.
Just read about blippin forget about it, I need someone to show me cuzz the guy that just attempted to explain it to me just confused the S%#T out of me. I really pitty this guys kids when it comes time for the birds and the bees talk. The most I got out of it was the whole matching engine speed which I already knew. How does it benifit you is all I want to know! Thanx

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hey Fitz, Parol officers only suck if you're the one on Parol. Oh, and by the way, it's spelled P-A-R-O-L-E. C'mon, didn't you learn anything in Prison?[:M115]

·
Registered
337 Posts
I remember reading an old issue of motorcyclist (1998 I think) that said clutchless shifting did not hurt your bike. I'm no mechanic, but I would think those guys should know? [?]

Does anyone else have input? If you guys can convince me it's bad, I'll stop doing it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Upshifting my 6RR is pretty smooth without the clutch. To downshift, chop the throttle and downshift at the same time. Its probably not good, but I used to downshift my CR125 all the time with no clutch, just stomp on it. Never had a tranny problem.

·
Registered
202 Posts
you can upshift a bike w/o a clutch and a car.Car you will end up fucking up the synco,blocking ring and shift forks.bikes dont have syncro's they have shift forks and most likly you'll end up wearing it out.burning a clutch in a car or bike is penny next to paying for a gear box.ive been working on transmissions for almost 20yrs.i really dont know what you mean by blipping,sorry

·
Registered
138 Posts
Originally posted by FITZ
Just read about blippin forget about it, I need someone to show me cuzz the guy that just attempted to explain it to me just confused the S%#T out of me.
Basically do three (actually 4)things at once: Pull in clutch while cracking open throttle (about a 2000-3000 crack more than you were at) while downsshifting, then let out clutch before the rpm's fall back down. Seems to let the downshift happen without the clunk, and the engine speed is already higher for the lower gear. At first practice getting the 3 step process right, let the clutch back out way after the blip/downshift, then practice letting clutch back out faster till the enging speed doesn't drop too much.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
271 Posts
From Total Control (Chapter 10, Shifting), by Lee Parks:

"The basic upshifting technique involves preloading the shift lever by pressing your foot down (up?) with just slightly less force than that needed to engage the next gear. Next, quickly roll off the throttle approximately 25 percent of its twisting range. When this happens, the torque force on the transmission will temporarily unload, and the preloaded shift lever will now snick into the next gear. For regular shifts at less than full throttle, a simultaneous, light stab of the clutch will help ease this process. For full throttle "speed shifting," no clutch is necessary. In fact, it's harder on the transmission to use the clutch in this type of situation than to just let the loading forces do the job. Most riders are amazed the first time they find that they don't need to use the clutch in high-performance shifting."

Now go wring that throttle [^]

·
Premium Member
11,912 Posts
There's a previous thread that addresses this and as this one there are diverse opinions. I do it once in a while (upshifting only), it is my understanding that if properly done, you won't hurt the bike at all. As long as you pull back on the throttle when you shift, you should be ok.

·
Registered
127 Posts
rdandy5875 what you are talking about is double clutching and yes i does create a realy smooth shift. I have my CDL and that is the only way you can down shift a tractor trailer. Well you can do it with out the clutch but you have to be know right where the rpms are for the gear you are going into.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Gotta disagree with the majority here. I shift without the cluch everytime I ride or race. I have always put a TON of miles on my bikes and never had even one clutch problem. Also its worse to shift a car without a clutch then it is for a motocycle. I do it downshifting sometimes but not always. Cause the RPM range to clutchless downshift is not that big.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Originally posted by straycat40

I used to downshift my CR125 all the time with no clutch, just stomp on it. Never had a tranny problem.
That's the WOST thing you can do. DON'T stomp it down. Your supposed to Wait until the gear just slides in.

Clutchless downshifting is alot like having sex with a woman.
You gotta wait till SHE'S ready, before you can slide it in.

·
Registered
271 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
the bike and car transmission shops WILL love you guys.i made alot of money last yr on car transmission,a lot were standard shifts. the guys would beet the piss out of the unit and can't understand Y it costs over 2k to fix it. I love people who like to race there cars. the best part is after we fix it they go mess it up again and "the warrenty" DOES'NT cover beeting !!!!! they try to tell us they didnt abuse it,but we know ,we all have been doing this for yrs

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.