Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been riding for about 1 1/2 years and my bike is my primary/only mode of transportation. I was just wondering how everyone goes about shifting up gears. Or I should say what technique you use. I find that when I'm not trying to get up to speed quickly that just kicking up the lever will result in a smooth shift. The same doesn't apply for me when I'm pressed for time. So what I do when I quickly want to get up to speed is I force the throttle position back to close at the same time as pulling the clutch, shifting up and returning the throttle to the position I had it before the shift. When I do this method the shift is smooth and I have no complaints. I just wanted some other riders opinions. I don't ride with anyone despite my riding everyday so I've got nobody else for a critique.

·
Registered
289 Posts
yea i do the exact same thing as you...sometimes i feel like accelerating hard, othertimes, not so much, it just depends, but for fast shifting i don't pull the clutch in far, just enough to disengage, i only use on finger.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Well you really don't need too clutch in every up shift. just twicth back the throttle just ever so slightly in mean 1-3 mm. Just enough too back off the gas then lift up the lever and it well slide in place(smooth and qiuck short shifting).. Its good for the tranny. Down shifts well get smoother, but u need too do this. Ok it well not harm the bike. If its hard gearing back off the gas alittle more 1-4 mm. If you upset the bike before it well fix it.. These bike are very forgiving. Down shift the same way 1-4 mm back off but use the clutch. After a wial u may not need the clutch for that ethier.. Ok try it....
Back too the shifting if you short shift the bike and thats what its designd for.. and even some times you may not notice that u are going it..

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
So for normal shifting you don't close the throttle?

For upshifting I clutch in, release the throttle, shift up, release the clutch and accelerate. When accelerating quick I get on the throttle more when I'm releasing the clutch. Gearshift wise I just make sure to disengage the clutch fully so it'll shift easy.

For downshifting I clutch in, release throttle, downshift, blip throttle, release clutch. To downshift for acceleration I omit the throttle blip and get on the throttle while releasing the clutch.

Basically your basic stuff, maybe there's more technique to it but I dunno. I've been doing for years, it just flows I don't even think about it.

What ever works, works so just go with it although I have to wonder why you have to force the throttle closed vs just letting it close.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Well you really don't need too clutch in every up shift. just twicth back the throttle just ever so slightly in mean 1-3 mm. Just enough too back off the gas then lift up the lever and it well slide in place(smooth and qiuck short shifting).. Its good for the tranny. Down shifts well get smoother, but u need too do this. Ok it well not harm the bike. If its hard gearing back off the gas alittle more 1-4 mm. If you upset the bike before it well fix it.. These bike are very forgiving. Down shift the same way 1-4 mm back off but use the clutch. After a wial u may not need the clutch for that ethier.. Ok try it....
Back too the shifting if you short shift the bike and thats what its designd for.. and even some times you may not notice that u are going it..
Clutchless shifting is NOT good for the bike. It won't harm the bike if you sell it instead of keeping it long enough to have to deal with the repair :rolleyes:. Ever see bikes for sale or forum threads that say the bike won't hold 2nd gear if you apply gas so they have to skip 2nd and shift to 3rd? Those were bikes of clutchless shifters. It's much easier to replace the clutch discs than it is to replace a gear and shift fork so it's better to wear the shit out of the clutch than it is to bend shift forks and wear down the dogs. :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So for normal shifting you don't close the throttle?

For upshifting I clutch in, release the throttle, shift up, release the clutch and accelerate. When accelerating quick I get on the throttle more when I'm releasing the clutch. Gearshift wise I just make sure to disengage the clutch fully so it'll shift easy.

For downshifting I clutch in, release throttle, downshift, blip throttle, release clutch. To downshift for acceleration I omit the throttle blip and get on the throttle while releasing the clutch.

Basically your basic stuff, maybe there's more technique to it but I dunno. I've been doing for years, it just flows I don't even think about it.

What ever works, works so just go with it although I have to wonder why you have to force the throttle closed vs just letting it close.
I should have described my process better. I do let the throttle close, but I allow for the natural pull of the cable to do the work for regular around the town riding. When I accelerate hard I try to shift as fast as possible so the engine doesn't pull against me and mess up my acceleration. To compensate for that I force the throttle grip back to ready and as I'm releasing return the grip to the same if not slightly further position. When I do this there is no engine pull during fast acceleration and it's smooth. I've never done a partial clutch and shift.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I should have described my process better. I do let the throttle close, but I allow for the natural pull of the cable to do the work for regular around the town riding. When I accelerate hard I try to shift as fast as possible so the engine doesn't pull against me and mess up my acceleration. To compensate for that I force the throttle grip back to ready and as I'm releasing return the grip to the same if not slightly further position. When I do this there is no engine pull during fast acceleration and it's smooth. I've never done a partial clutch and shift.
Sounds like it works so it's all good, smooth is good.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
To downshift for acceleration I omit the throttle blip and get on the throttle while releasing the clutch.
More info on downshifting for acceleration!! I'm getting better at the blip-downshift method, i've been trying to downshift for acceleration but i'm not able to do it without the revs shooting up on me.. How do you do this?????:confused:

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
I can honestly say I don't even think about it...I just shift and the clutch/throttle movements are 100% based on sound and vibration of the bike based on how fast I want to accelerate. I can honestly say I don't look at my cluster much other than to check for blinkers being on and recheck my speed when I see a cop.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I can honestly say I don't even think about it...I just shift and the clutch/throttle movements are 100% based on sound and vibration of the bike based on how fast I want to accelerate. I can honestly say I don't look at my cluster much other than to check for blinkers being on and recheck my speed when I see a cop.
I have to mirror this statement. I’ve only been riding for a few days (500 miles so far) but I don't really bother looking at the rpms and I don't really think about when to shift. It just happens naturally. This comes from many years of driving stick shifts I would imagine, but yeah, don't stress about it, it'll become second nature at some point in time.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Some nice shorty levers would make the shifting experience a little better. Just keep with it and eventually it'll get like second nature and u won't even think about it. I've always heard that clutchless shifting is bad for the tranny, why not be safe then sorry and and just use the lever. It's not like it takes alot of effort or anything...lol

·
Powerhungry
38,875 Posts
I have to mirror this statement. I’ve only been riding for a few days (500 miles so far) but I don't really bother looking at the rpms and I don't really think about when to shift. It just happens naturally. This comes from many years of driving stick shifts I would imagine, but yeah, don't stress about it, it'll become second nature at some point in time.
yeh..pretty much. i dont really think about it. i can shift through the gears, without even realizing it.

sometimes in my truck i do that..
then i THINK to shift into 2nd...and im like wtf..it wont go. im already in 2nd:D

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
yeh..pretty much. i dont really think about it. i can shift through the gears, without even realizing it.

sometimes in my truck i do that..
then i THINK to shift into 2nd...and im like wtf..it wont go. im already in 2nd:D
lol i've been there a time or two! :cheers-004:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
More info on downshifting for acceleration!! I'm getting better at the blip-downshift method, i've been trying to downshift for acceleration but i'm not able to do it without the revs shooting up on me.. How do you do this?????:confused:
I always ride at just the point where my power starts to get good. For me that's a little over 6000 in 6th. That way when the cagers have there moments I can make my escape. The only time I've ever had to down shift to accelerate is when I'm in town and grandma forgets where the gas is ahead. When your trying to downshift what range are you in at the above gear? That will have a big impact when downshifting.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Downshift as normal but instead of blipping the throttle and releasing the clutch, get on the throttle while releasing the clutch. It takes practice but you want to have the rpms right for the speed and gear by the time the clutch is fully engaged.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.