Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, for the most part this was a pretty easy install and the bike runs great now. I recently gutted my stock muffler and left in 1 baffle. The bike sounds great but I needed to shim the needles to take out the flat spot it created. So I got some #4 washers from lowes since my radio shack sucks and they dont have anything even close. Well the inside diameter was just fine but they were too big on the outside so I had to take my dremel tool and gently shave some material to fit them in the slides. I took good care not to lose the little o-rings under the diaphragm covers but the very last one disappeared without me ever seeing it. I reassembled the bike anyhow and put a dab of silicone grease where the o-ring should be. The bike runs fine and I drove it several miles. I did order the o-ring but of course it wont be here until wendesday. From what I can tell that seal only seals a vaccum passage for choke operation, is this true ? I rarely use my choke this time of year so if that is all that passage is used for then I wont be worried about driving my bike until the seal arrives. Like I said the bike seems to drive fine for now but I just want to be sure before putting any miles on it

·
Registered
50 Posts
When you took out the needles was there a washer already on the needle? Reason why I am planning on shimming my carbs and the exploded veiw of the carbs on the Kawasaki website shows a plastic spacer, e-clip, washer, and then the spring. So did you add another washer to the needle? Washer part# 92022

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that washer is there yes but it is above the e-clip so it has no affect on needle heighth. i guess that it is there just to give the spring a good surface to sit on but other than that i see no purpose for it whatsoever. i rode my bike to work today before posting and i rode it home as well and it ran like a champ. way more responsive than before so i guess my suspicions were right about the o-ring and that passage being for the choke only. p.s. that washer is also too thin to be useful in shimming the needles so when you go to get some shims i wouldnt recommend getting those. just look at a radio shack for the #4 washers everyone talks about. my radio shack has a very limited inventory is why they didnt have any. i had to drive to the next town just to get some resistors once..............

·
Registered
32 Posts
that little o ring seals the upper vacuum chamber so vacuum can pull the needle assembly up out of needle jet. if its leakin, it can cause a dead spot too, cuz one carb or how ever many that are missin an oring arent pullin the needle out of the jet like its sposed too. just found this out on mine, had major dead spot around 6k rpm. found 2 carbs missin oring on top. jus my 2 cents.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well mine may have very well been missing one of them all along because like i said originally i held my hand under the diaphragm while i was removing it but i never saw an o-ring come out. anyhow the bike is running ok for now and my new o-ring will be in around wendesday and i will put it in soon after.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.