Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of doing this mod to try to smooth out my throttle response. Now I know there are some people that have done this on this thread like ZZRocket. Who else has done this and any response about how it help or didn't would be appreciated. I don't want to jum into doing this and basically regret doing it instead of just buying a JetKit. Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
only diff between this and a jet kit is you just shim the needles up insted of chainging the needles with ones with slots to adjust, my bike has it done with a slip on and its smooth all the way though.
Ben

·
Registered
293 Posts
Shimming helps low throttle response where mods tend to lean it out.

If the top end is too lean, then you need a jet kit with bigger main jets and adjustable needles (they may have a different taper.)

·
Registered
939 Posts
shimming the needles is a little trick that will help give you better throttle response and a little extra gas through out the power band except wide open throttle.
the reason for this is. adding a shimm on your needle decreaces the distance your needle must travel before it starts letting fuel spray in to the carb.
also since that distance is decreased it gives slightly more fuel through out the band of power.
but at wide open throttle you will be getting the same amount of fuel since you jet size controls that.
i would recommend trying it first before you jet your bike.
jetting can be much more complicated.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Did mine a year ago, it made the throttle response quicker and took care of the hesitation problem @ 6,000 with the bolt on can. I'd at least try it first, $2.35 and an hour of your time (took me 35 min.) isn't bad. Plus it's easy to take the shims off and go back to stock if you aren't impressed with the changes.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It the best and easiest thing to do if you just have a aftermarket can. You definetly can tell the difference I pulled my shimms back out once a went for a lil rip, came right back to the house and put them back in immeadiatly.No regrets. Ive got bout 10,000 miles with needles shimmed and no problems. Check out this thread from last year when I brought up the topic of shimming the needles. http://www.KawiForums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42498

·
Registered
24 Posts
Great site from Insaneillusions. But will this cure the dead spot I see betewwn 7000-10,000 rpm? Once past this dead zone, she pulls hard to redline. dead spot mostly on 4, 5, 6th gears. 1st, 2nd, 3rd no problems. I have the same bike, so that is why I am intersted in this line of chats

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Yep. It will solve the "dead spot" between 7k - 10k.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I appreciate all the responces and I have bought the washers from Radio Shack and am looking to tackle this project tonight. I have one concern, can someone tell me where exactly that tiny little o-ring is so I can try not to lose it, also is there just one. Reading the instructions says one, but he goes and says he located all of his little o-rings. So it kind seems like there are more than one. Thanks to all...

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
There are four of them as I remember. I didn't have any problems, as all mine stayed in place. They are on the lower side of the vacuum valve cover. I'll circle where on a photo in a sec....

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Thet sit in a recess where the arrows are pointing. Note that the O-ring has been removed and is not in the pic. I took an awl ( an ice pick or small screw driver will work) and slid the o-ring down the shaft so they wouldn't drop down the carbs. When I was ready to put the covers back on, I dabbed a very small amount of grease on the o-ring and placed it back in the recess. The grease held it in place while I lined up the cover and screwed it back on. Hope this helped! :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. Alright, I started this project last night. Before I took the covers off I place a white towel under each of the covers to catch the o-rings if any popped out. I took of the first two, started from left to right. I was able to hold the -orings in place by getting my finger on them. Pulled the needles out and put those back together. Next cover I unbolted and when to do the same trick, there was no o-ring there. The last one had the o-ring. All except the 3rd on had the o-rings. Is it really possible they screwed this up from factory or am I losing my mind? I pulled my towel out carefully, no o-ring. I looked all inside the engine area and no o-ring. If this bike didn't have one from the get-go, what kind of probs could be present?

·
Registered
939 Posts
yeah you will need to get one from the stealership. everytime i pull my carbs apart i always go buy a couple extra first becuase they are so easy to lose.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am picking up one tonight, it is going to cost me $3 for the o-ring and then another $10 in gas just getting to the damn dealer. The one in town doesn't have any, but the dealer 35 miles away has like 20 of them. kinda crazy, same company different towns. Oh well, I need to get it so I will have my bike for the weekend. I asked this before, if this bike really didn't have the o-ring in the 3rd carb, what kind of probs could I have been expiriencing. I had slow thorttle response as it was, that is the point of me shimming the needles. Also took a long time to warm up. Seemed like it was also running a bit rich. Can these be causes for a missing vacuum o-ring?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright. Finished this project up last night. I drove alomost 70 miles to and from the closest dealer that had these o-rings in stock since I was short one. Well after said and done, this was a fairly simple mod and didn't take that long to complete. I would say it took me about and hour from start to finish over 2 days (having to wait and get the o-rings). IMO this helped the throttle response considerably. Kinda wonder why this was not already done from the factory. Anyways, it is complete and feels great. Thanks to all who had helped me find the correct shims, o-rings and pointed me to the directions. Chris

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Glad to help. :D I think the factory doesn't do it due to emmisions regulations.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My bike was already backfiring (popping) before I shimmed my needles. My buddy would think it was cool because at night, every once in a while and flame would spit out my tail pipe.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.