Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang im looking into street/track tires and have and read abit on the shinko 005 tires and they say there super gripy and soft for track use and street.. I live in the hills and that suits me that there super gripy.. Im looking to do my 1st track day in 2 months and was wondering your thoughts on the shinko's.. Milage does not really bother me that much..

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Might just get another front 2ct.. It's got the 60 and might go to the 70 profile..

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
almost killed myself last year on 009s.. i have a Q2s now and my bike is scary planted. it's nuts. can't drift em. used to drift the motherfuck out of the shinkos. big nasty around-the-corner drifts. not some bullshit rolling burnout holding the front brake shit.
the q2 just wants to pull the front up. lol

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Hey gang im looking into street/track tires and have and read abit on the shinko 005 tires and they say there super gripy and soft for track use and street.. I live in the hills and that suits me that there super gripy.. Im looking to do my 1st track day in 2 months and was wondering your thoughts on the shinko's.. Milage does not really bother me that much..
Hey Arron,

I've been riding on Shinko 005s for almost 2 years and can give you some feedback on the tire. I ride fairly aggressively on the street and have not gotten to the track yet so my review applies to street and mountain riding.

The Shinko 005s are fine tire and the reviews on [ Shinko 005 Advance Tire Comparison Review - Motorcycle USA ] are accurate. They ride fine although they are a harder compound than many other performance tires so they don't grip quite as well. If going crazy in the twisties, you'll have to have very good throttle control as I have broken my rear free just a tad in several turns.

One thing I'd like to note is that, from my experience, the tires seem to take a little longer to warm up than other tires I've ridden on and they've always handled better and felt more planted about 2psi under spec when riding aggressively on the street (depending on conditions, of course).

In all, I would recommend the tires to someone looking for a cheap street tire that performs pretty well and lasts a long time. However, if you're going to the track or ride very aggressively I would consider other tires because although these will probably do the trick, they take a bit of a special touch to ride without endangering oneself. That said, my next set is probably going to be either a Michelin Pilot Power 2ct or Power Pure as I also want to lean her over at the track.

If you have any specific questions about the tires, shoot me a message and I'll answer what I can.

-Yuriy

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for letting me know guys and also for the help.. I have the 2cts now and find where i live in the hills here the 2cts take a while to warm up and they last for yonkers..

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
Hey gang im looking into street/track tires and have and read abit on the shinko 005 tires and they say there super gripy and soft for track use and street...
Who's "they"?

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Several people like the Continental Motion instead of the Shinkos for a cheaper tire more for the street. Motosport.com sells them for a good price.

I went with the Michelin Pilot Road 3- expensive but they should last even longer than the 2 version, a lot of rain traction, and they have an extra groovy look that I like. They did not have the high speed version of one of them available when I ordered them, but I try very hard to stay under 90 mph anyways on the street, and I do not do track days. They handle grooved concrete and steel grate bridges better than the Dunlop 207s that the bike came with new.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
I wouldn't run a Conti or a Shinko on the track. I have ridden on Shinko 006's a fair amount on a 250. They work fine on that bike, and have no problem with knee down lean angles and speeds, but it's a light weight, low power bike that is easy on tires. I don't know how well they would do on a big bike. Good tires aren't that much more expensive than cheap tires, it's worth it to buy a decent (Bridgestone or Michelin) tire, especially if you are thinking about a track day.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Had 009's on my 636 when I bought it and they were absolute shite. Still have 'em, can't find anyone to take them off my hands free. I spend hundreds (or thousands) on a helmet, gloves, jacket, pants, boots, etc. I can shell out another $50 on a set of tires, which will do as much or more to keep me planted on the street.

Q2's and 2CT's are both excellent tires. I've use both at the track and on the street and both are very capable.

Do yourself a favor and don't skimp on tires.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts