Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was installing the dreaded right side slider last night and ran into a problem. I didn't have any problem at all removing the bolt from the right side- mines not a hex head, it was a regular bolt, but the problem I have is when I put the bolt back on after the offset mount, it wasn't tightening to 30 lbs of torque. It would only tighten to about 20 lbs, then it would just turn, almost like it was stripping, but I couldn't find any signs of stripping or wear. Anyone have any ideas? Can I ride the bike until this is fixed, or would this present a safety issue? I really don't want to take it to my local dealer- I think they suck- but I will if I have to. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Powerhungry
38,374 Posts
I was installing the dreaded right side slider last night and ran into a problem. I didn't have any problem at all removing the bolt from the right side- mines not a hex head, it was a regular bolt, but the problem I have is when I put the bolt back on after the offset mount, it wasn't tightening to 30 lbs of torque. It would only tighten to about 20 lbs, then it would just turn, almost like it was stripping, but I couldn't find any signs of stripping or wear. Anyone have any ideas? Can I ride the bike until this is fixed, or would this present a safety issue? I really don't want to take it to my local dealer- I think they suck- but I will if I have to. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
not an allen?
someone replaced it already?

when ur tightening it, look back, and see if the nut is turning.

if its not, then yeh, its stripped.

just take it out, and put another bolt. no need to go to the dealer.
i mean, if u installed the sliders, you can replace the bolt.

and use ATLEAST a GRADE 5 bolt. or..since these are metric, if ur reusing the OEM nut, i think grade 8.8.

·
Registered
125 Posts
it's a bolt inside a bolt, so check the one it's going into and make sure it's not turning both. if it is, take it off, and torque the bolt that it screws into, then renistall your frame slider.

·
Powerhungry
38,374 Posts
it's a bolt inside a bolt, so check the one it's going into and make sure it's not turning both. if it is, take it off, and torque the bolt that it screws into, then renistall your frame slider.
my guess is..they replaced it with a standard nut/bolt.
and not the SQUARE nut. which is stock, and locks into place, to prevent it from turning.

prob have to put a wrench on the nut to keep it from turning;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not an allen?
someone replaced it already?

when ur tightening it, look back, and see if the nut is turning.

if its not, then yeh, its stripped.

just take it out, and put another bolt. no need to go to the dealer.
i mean, if u installed the sliders, you can replace the bolt.

and use ATLEAST a GRADE 5 bolt. or..since these are metric, if ur reusing the OEM nut, i think grade 8.8.

I bought the bike brand new, rode off the lot with literally 1 mile on the odometer. I don't know why the dealer would have switched the bolt but who knows. I did check to see if anything else was spinning, but no luck. I tried the stock bolt that was there, and a hex bolt that was included with the kit, and both had the same result. Neither bolt is stripped, so I can only think that the internal threads of the nut are stripping, but I'm not sure why this would have happened, definitely did nothing to create a problem. I'm gonna play around with it tomorrow and see if I can figure it out. If not, I guess it's off to the dealer, cause this just doesn't make sense. I've wrenched on this bike since day one and haven't had any issues until now. We'll see, I'll repost with my results. Thanks for the thoughts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I'll check it out tonight, see what I find, and post some pics if I can't figure it out. I checked everything thoroughly last night, but I want to give it another look and make sure I wasn't missing something. Stay tuned... and thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Upon further review, the "stock" bolt that I had on my bike wasn't reaching enough thread to properly secure it to the bike with the offset mount for the right side slider. I simply got a longer hex head bolt and everything went very smoothly, all are torqued down properly. I'm not sure why my bike had a regular type bolt on it, but it's got a hex head now. Thanks for the input.

JD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts