Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I haven't been riding for the past 20 years. Reason: NDE (near-disable-experience). Now that I am over that, I just scheduled MSF class for my motorbike endorsement this weekend, and will be test riding next week. Thinking about getting either Ninja 650 or CBR500R.

I am leaning more to the 650 at this time.

Reasons for considering 650: higher HP, Kawasaki rebates, Costco program, ABS is available in black - which happens to be my favorite, high availability, striking look!

Reasons for considering CBR500R: price, the build quality / reliability and the fuel efficiency, easier handling.

Price difference: Before taxes&fees AND after rebates & Costco gift card, I estimate it'll be about $1000.

Most of my riding will be for commute (20-miles roundtrip) and occasional weekend fun rides. Not going to be taking it to the track. Not anxious about getting to the top speed. I am quite sure both bikes should provide enough excitement for me.

I am looking to keep the bike for 5-10 years, so I am hoping for less cost in maintenance.

Any thoughts, considerations, advice, etc. are welcome. Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Base it on what you like. Cant go wrong with either.

Just know the 650 is proven and been out a lot longer. Cbr is new but its a Honda

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
it is a hard choice, but you can't beat displacement, those 150 CCs may just give you a bit more of an edge specially on low RPMs, I loved my 650 but I got bitten by the SS bug, also consider the street triple.

The 650 sit is awesome , and passengers loved it, I used to give out a lot more rides on my 650 than the 600 SS , girls just liked it more.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you for the quick responses!

Venom - Yeah for sure. i saw the 0-60 and 1/4-mile time comparisons between them. the additional 150cc definitely shows -- which is also reflected on the mpg lol.

Btw - a couple things on 650:
I don't like the one-piece handlebar and the lack of pillion grab handles. I prefer keep the bike bone stock, but I will install pillion handles if I get this bike.
I really like the analog tachometer & under-mount exhaust system though!

another consideration .. does anyone know if the 2014 model will come out soon?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol .. thanks for all the suggestions. i am opting to get a new bike coz:

1. i know for sure it's never been dropped, mis-tweaked, mis-treated, abused.
2. if anything wrong, it's under warranty for a year (or more if i get the extended)
3. nice new bike smell :D
4. i can afford it :bigrin:

i had stopped riding regularly for a long time, but i still ride friend's bike from time to time. i do ride my bicycle regularly if that counts .. :Bike: :bonk:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
SportRider magazine just did a comparison to the ninja 300 vs the cbr500. Might be a good read to get some personal info on the cbr500.
I didn't like the bars on my 650 at first. Grown to like them. I wouldn't want clipons now. Lol I've heard.the cbr had doo-doo for handling. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
lol .. thanks for all the suggestions. i am opting to get a new bike coz:

1. i know for sure it's never been dropped, mis-tweaked, mis-treated, abused.
2. if anything wrong, it's under warranty for a year (or more if i get the extended)
3. nice new bike smell :D
4. i can afford it :bigrin:

i had stopped riding regularly for a long time, but i still ride friend's bike from time to time. i do ride my bicycle regularly if that counts .. :Bike: :bonk:
If you can get it new get it new , who cares , 8k is not a lot money for something brand new that is yours , and you know it has not been abused,but new bikes do some with a bunch of extra expenses like the first 600 mile service and that you have to pay someone to change the oil for the full year so the warranty does not go to hell.

I hated the stock bars, but once I put the sports bars from the 650 shop it was fine, then get a fend eliminator and you are gold.

the new one has ABS , which at the end of the day I do not know if its worth it because the brakes are crap on the 650 so that may be one of the first things you want to upgrade.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you can get it new get it new , who cares , 8k is not a lot money for something brand new that is yours , and you know it has not been abused,but new bikes do some with a bunch of extra expenses like the first 600 mile service and that you have to pay someone to change the oil for the full year so the warranty does not go to hell.

I hated the stock bars, but once I put the sports bars from the 650 shop it was fine, then get a fend eliminator and you are gold.

the new one has ABS , which at the end of the day I do not know if its worth it because the brakes are crap on the 650 so that may be one of the first things you want to upgrade.
Thanks, Venom.

yup.. brand new for me. one dealer told me the 600-mile service is about $300, so no big deal.

i will look into the sports bar. any specific brand / model?

And yes, $500-600 extra for ABS is a no-brainer, plus i live in NW and it gets wet a lot.
The reason i look away from Honda is they only have ABS on RED CBR500R.... and RED is not really my color.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Thanks, Venom.

yup.. brand new for me. one dealer told me the 600-mile service is about $300, so no big deal.

And yes, $500-600 extra for ABS is a no-brainer, plus i live in NW and it gets wet a lot.
The reason i look away from Honda is they only have ABS on RED CBR500R.... and RED is not really my color.
i think you should do research before you buy anything

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
You can do the 600 mile service and other maintenance (e.g. oil changes) yourself. It won't affect the warranty. Just keep your receipts and keep good records of it.

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
Thanks, Venom.

I got the ones from the 650 store , about 250 bucks, best purchase you can do on the 650, the other bars made it feel like a cruiser..

I would take a MSF new rider weekend course just to get your feet wet again and not drop your new baby on the floor.

I would also look into upgrading the brakes on the 650 , but maybe I just had bad luck with mine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
my whole-day msf class is going to be in this weekend. upon passing, i will get my endorsement. next week will be shopping time.

as for the brake, i would think 650's front double discs will be better than CBR500R single disc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts