Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody with short legs find that its hard to get your knee down without scraping the pegs. specifically on an 05-06 636. I was hanging of as much as physically possible at today at the track, to the point where i could barely keep my foot on the outside peg and with my knee fully extended yet i managed to scrape the pegs before being able to put my knee down. I know i can get a knee down and im not really concerned that much about it but, im wondering if i just need to really try to get my form better, or if other people have actually experienced this also and i'll probably need aftermarket rear sets. My legs are pretty short and i cant stick my knee out really far because of that so i figured that was part of the problem.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Are you shifting your body? You should let one cheek hang off the seat. And maybe try putting your knee down, not straight out. If your doinf all this and still scraping your pegs before your knees, I have to ask how you even get on your bike?

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was definitely way off the seat. im not really that short im 5'9 but i have pretty short legs for my height. maybe like you said the knee needs to go down more as opposed to out and extended.

·
Registered
265 Posts
im the same height, Ive been having trouble as well, Ill try that knee down not so much knee out

·
Registered
56 Posts
try differant tires. I had that problem with the factory tires, switched to power race michillens and now I drag my knees a lot. I am also 5'9"

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I'm 5'2 and can get the knee down

·
Registered
483 Posts
5'9"ish here too. No issues getting knee on the ground. It will come with speed and no need to hang of it like a chimp.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm 5' 6" and have pretty short legs too. For me to get a knee down with the stock pegs involved my upper body position. I found out that I wasn't getting my torso low enough and far enough off to the side. After looking at a lot of pictures of other folks getting a knee down, I tried to find reference points on the bike for my legs and elbows. My outside leg's inner knee goes against the seat and my outside arm's elbow goes on the gas tank filler cap. I try to point my inside elbow downward, and I was told that lifting my outside elbow a bit will get my inside elbow downward.#13;#10;#13;#10;Sorry this sounds so disjointed, but I did those things and kept going lower and lower and eventually - skriitttcchh. Now I'm trying to just tap my knee down lightly 'cause I'm cheap and I don't want to spend a fortune on knee sliders:)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Definatly try to get pics of yourself at your lean angle. You can tell alot about what you are doing wrong if you can see it in a pic or video.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Next time try and go out there and just concentrate on proper cornering technique. I guarantee you will be suprised when midcorner, you all of a sudden hear a weird scrapping noise and feel a weird vibration and presure on your knee. Some guys try so hard and are focused on dragging a knee that they are oblivious to everything else that they should be doing which ironcally would have made them drag their knee. Just my 2 cents :D

·
Registered
504 Posts
5'6" w/29" inseam and 25" thighs (can't find leathers that fit off the damn rack). As a track instructor I find that a lot of people focus too much on trying to get the knee down when they should work on going faster. A natural by-product of greater corner speed is more lean angle. If you've gotten to the point of scraping pegs consistently, then I agree you probably should work on getting the bike on a slighty fatter portion of the tire. A contributing factor could also be bike setup - I've seen that 05-06 Kawi's tend to be set up too soft on the rear (too much sag resulting in low ride height) and don't want to finish a turn very well - not very confidence inspiring!

Some people like to be right up on the seat/tank juunction while others like to be about 1-2" back of it - it just depends on your biomechanics and what position allows you really lock in with your outer leg (knee, thigh, heel) with little weight on your arm or inside leg or foot.

Here's Star Mazda at Button Willow - a slow 2nd gear corner. Could get lower but your also picking up the throttle and want the tire on a fatter section:

Don't try to twist your body too much either, that just messes up the upper body which has more to do with the CG then the lower body.

Good luck,
Q

·
Registered
184 Posts
i'm only 5'3", at one track, i get knees down everywhere but at another track i hardly ever get a knee down in more than two to three turns.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You probably jsut need to stick your knee out farther at first. And look down in a long corner to check. I felt like i had my knee sticking out a lot adn was still not dragging. It wasn't till a long corner that i looked down and realised my knee really wasn't out far at all. Put it out at 90 degrees from you. It will be umcomfortable.

Also check your peg height. If your short your stock pegs are too low. Im 6'4" and i have my vortex's all the way up and back. If your not sitting so your outside knee is hugging the tank properly, then your inside one wont reach the ground.

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
Is there a speed relation to getting knee down? I've been hanging off the bike, shifting body position, (lower and upper)left ass cheek past center of seat if going to left turn, and I still cannot do it. Tip of toes on the foot pegs, knee out, left arm not jutting out that much, (if I'm turning left) but I do drop the shoulder. I'd say I will start my turn between 35-40 in second gear, give it maintenance throttle through it. Nada. Do I need to be going faster? Start the turn at 50? That's about the max I could get up to in this parking lot that I do this at.

strat

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'm 5'8" and I'm running about 3-5 seconds off Intermediate pace and haven't gotten a knee down yet. I know people in the NESBA Advanced group that have never gotten a knee down either. I wouldn't worry about it, just go out there and do your thing. Don't let the fact that you haven't drug a knee mess with your good time.

·
Registered
265 Posts
this is good information guys, im learning alot here

1 - 20 of 26 Posts