Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to all riders that are 5'8" and shorter.... shave your seat!! I did it last weekend and I have to tell you its the best thing I could have done. I cut most of the foam out minus 1" and replaced some of it with a lighter foam. The seat is a little bit softer and I can almost flat foot it. Backing up is much much better and the seating position is more comfortable. If anyone lives close to me (eastern mass) I invite you to come buy and give it a try first if you like. Its a must do mod.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Originally posted by GF7PE
to all riders that are 5'8" and shorter.... shave your seat!! I did it last weekend and I have to tell you its the best thing I could have done. I cut most of the foam out minus 1" and replaced some of it with a lighter foam. The seat is a little bit softer and I can almost flat foot it. Backing up is much much better and the seating position is more comfortable. If anyone lives close to me (eastern mass) I invite you to come buy and give it a try first if you like. Its a must do mod.
I've been thinking about trying to get a spare seat from a wrecked 636 to test that out with, and if I don't like it, I swap back.. and that way I'm not taking such a big risk ruining my seat or finding out I don't like it for the long haul.

hokie636 is a friend and local 636 owner and he shaved his seat.. I've ridden his bike, and I'll admit that I did sort of like the difference between my stock seat and his shaved seat, but I don't know what I would think about it if mine were like that, and long term. There are a lot of things on his bike that feel different, like the shifter. I don't know.. Like I said, I might try to get a spare stock seat eventually and shave it, and see if it grows on me. I could really benefit from shaving the seat down a little, or dropping the bike just a tad in height. As it sits right now, I'm fine, but it would be nice to flat foot completely on any terrain. :D

·
Registered
703 Posts
you can shave the bottom of the foam and then put it back on as well. a little easier than trying to "contour" the top surface of the foam to get a good shape..........

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
+1 to my mod list. I have had this bike for < a week and I already have a long list of wants.
Atleast this one is free :D

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
let's see i am 5'8 and 3/4, does this count for me haha. I'm cool actually i feel really comfortable with the stock seat height and i'm not one to do any unecessary mods that might throw me off.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Originally posted by GF7PE
The only drawback of a shaved seat is that the bike is wider when you put your feet down.

·
Banned
495 Posts
I am about 5'7"-8 and i seem to feel a little awkward with my feet down, its like i have to rock back and forth to keep my feet up. I usually just reley on the strength of my legs to hold myself up.

·
Registered
324 Posts
im 5'6 and i didnt shave my seat.. theres no need to have both feet down

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi

Does anyone know of a cut down seat that is available off the shelf as opposed to cutting one down yourself? Any leads appreciated.

Regards

·
Registered
174 Posts
5'8" No need to shave I can touch with both feet just not fully. If I am pushing backwards up hill or anything I just get off the side and push it then hop on.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Originally posted by motojustin4
If I am pushing backwards up hill or anything I just get off the side and push it then hop on.
Park so you can pull out normally.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I did shave the bottom and rode it for a while. Then I noticed my legs were becoming numb more often so I bought a used seat and been happy ever since. Didn't work for me and I'm 5'7

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
5'6 [:I]

I'm afraid to shave my seat because I do some long trips and it hurts my ass enuf as is...

But backing up is definitely a bitch. Unless I'm going down hill, there's no chance of me backing up.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hell, I'm 5' 6" and if I have to back the bike up I just stand next to it and pull it backwards. It looks silly but it works. It's a far better idea to park so you can pull out by going forward.#13;#10;#13;#10;I've been riding tall bikes for so long I'm used using the ball of one foot to stay upright. No biggie after 28 years.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ended up shaving a lot of foam out of my seat and replacing half of it with a softer foam. Its much much better all around. Very glad I did it

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.