Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about upgrading next season to a 09+ zx-6r. I haven't had an opportunity to sit on a zx6r yet. Looking to see if any other "short" riders around 5'4" want to give some feedback on the stock height of a zx6r. Were you able to tippy toe at least or did you end up lowering the bike and if so by how much of a drop front and back? Preferrably I'd like to keep it stock height for best handling. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
i am the same height mate. i use one foot down flat when stopped, although i can tippy toe both if i wanted to.

trying to find some picture examples but i do not think i have any. ill look around.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool, i think i should be ok based on the responses so far. i currently ride a 09 250r, and i can get 3/4-half of my feet down when stopped on flat ground. i've had one occassion where i almost fell over on an 60 deg incline stop, but i managed to muscle it out. i definitely need to practice more stop and go on incline and decline surfaces.

yes i've heard that wearing boots, shaving the seat, or getting a custom seat that is narrower and or has less foam also helps. i will definitely keep these in mind if i need them. on a side note, i sat on my buddy's 09 CBR600 and i could tip toe that one. i've also rode my other buddy's 08 R6 once and that is lowered 2" i believe front and back. still can only tippy toe on that one. so i can only assume a zx-6r would be similar to these experiences until i actually try it out for myself.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm barely 5 7" with a funky inseam, so yeah I have seat height issues. The zx6r is a good bike, you can drop it a little without any ill effects, I lowered my aprilia but not this one, the 6 isn't bad. I will say that the gsxr 600 and 750 is a lower bike, I am flat foot on them, esp. the 11' models.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cept racing boots they make it much harder to touch.
yea i found this out when i tried on my racing boots. no ankle movement at all. i could barely tippy toe on my 250. feels like you have to re-learn the feel of shifting too. i guess thats why pro racers use gp shifting.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i went to the dealer today to get my new tires mounted for my 250. while there, i sat on a 2011 zx6r and was able to tippy toe it. also sat on a zx10 and was able to tip toe that one as well. the zx10 was a little bit taller than the zx6r. they had a gsxr 750, the seat on that thing is extremely narrow and definitely easier to put my feet down than the zx6r. i left feeling pretty pleased that i could atleast tippy toe the zx6r. in due time, i plan to get one. for now i gotta prepare for my first track day with the 250 coming up.

·
Registered
149 Posts
same way. just scrapeing the tipps. at a stop one foot down the other on rear sets. new tires meeses me up even taller bike .. never lower the bike.. rise it up if anything.. lowering well take the cornering ability away, rising helps cornering faster no sh*t

·
Registered
488 Posts
Whatever you do, DO NOT LOWER YOUR BIKE! It was meant to be at that height and if you want to ever ride it like it was intended to be ridden you will regret it.

Ask any racer if they ever lowered they bike! BAD MISTAKE despite a lot of people saying that it won't change much. It will. And you won't notice it til it's too late.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm short too... 5'3". My first bike I lowered 1.5 inches. Never had a handling problem. It will affect clearance on turns if you plan on dragging knee, but seeing as it was my first bike I felt feeling secure on the bike was more important. That was an 03 zx6r. My new bike... An 09 I left stock height since I am more experienced now and just my toes was enough for me.... Besides if you're always moving you never need to touch!! Haha

If u r going to lower make sure it's done right. Both front and rear. If not. Shaving the seat and adjusting the suspension can help. You should probably adjust suspension no matter what since you are properly lighter than the averange rider as the bike was designed for out of the factory.

·
Registered
29 Posts
EH Im 5'6" and i lowered it. I dont track my bike nor do i ride it to the extreme. What are your goals with your bike. I daily mine everyday to school work and such so id rather not be tippy toeing in a city area.

·
Registered
653 Posts
yea i say wear boots and if that doesnt help get some gel inserts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm not sure how people think that lowering their bike does not effect handling. :(

I am 5'4" with short legs and I am on my tip toes. Sometimes I will flat foot on one side depending on how level the ground is where I stop. It does take a bit to get used to it, but to me it's definitely a better option than lowering the bike. Just take care not to stop on ground that is not level, or adjust yourself accordingly. You'll be fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts