Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any noticable differences when using a shorter oil filter? my shop gave me one and ima a little skeptical to put it on.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I use from Napa there gold filter, which is an automotive filter but its 1/2in shorter then the Purolator. The only reason I use it is because I change my oil alot while at work and I work at a car dealer which deals with Napa so its convient. I havent had any issues and its a little easier to get out between the header and fairing.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I purchased a fram oil filter # PH6017A for $10. for my 06 636. it's shorter and goes on easier, what is the part# for your Purolator filter???? and how much does it cost??

·
Registered
486 Posts
Originally posted by 06 SE ZX6R
I purchased a fram oil filter # PH6017A for $10. for my 06 636. it's shorter and goes on easier, what is the part# for your Purolator filter???? and how much does it cost??
Please, think of the children....say no to Fram.

Purolator that matches OEM is PL14612. The "longer" one is PL14610.

·
Registered
335 Posts
So what is so wrong with the fram oil filters??? And how much for the purolator filter?

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Fram oil filters are known to use cardboard endcaps on the filter media within the filter along with poor anti drain-back valaves and just inferior internal materials and construction in general. Not a good thing. Quality oil filters use metal end caps on the filter media, have better and more filter media and use better quality parts. One thing to avoid for a motorcycle oil filter that has not been mentioned are any filters that have PTFE (teflon) or any other friction reducers added into the filter. These will play havoc with your bikes clutch. Not sure on the price of a Purolator filter but it is probably in the $8 to $10 range.

·
Powerhungry
37,961 Posts
Originally posted by xtremewlr
Mobil1 M-110, bout an inch longer than the stock filter. Fits perfect, no problems installing or removing with the upper fairing in place. Runs about $10 from most auto parts stores.
so u are draining the filter with the fairing on? what are u doing about the oil that puddles on the fairing?
ive been pulling the fairing, but im getting over 2k miles a month, and changing my oil OFTEN. would be a lot easier with the plastics on.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Originally posted by nevada

so u are draining the filter with the fairing on? what are u doing about the oil that puddles on the fairing?
ive been pulling the fairing, but im getting over 2k miles a month, and changing my oil OFTEN. would be a lot easier with the plastics on.
I remove the LOWER fairings only, the bottom half of the side fairings. Remember that the side fairings have an upper and lower part to them. Once the 2 lower halves of the fairings are removed, you can change the filter without making a mess. My bike only has 1500 miles on it but I have done 3 oil and filter changes on her so far. I'm finally to the point that I will run the oil and filter for the normal 3000 miles before a change.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The last oil change I did,I used the K&N oil filter.
Stay far away from Fram!

The last oil I used was Castro evo,or something like that.

Im going back to Kawi products,for warrenty issues and cost.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.