Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so is anyone familiar with shortening hte trottle travel. it think its called the 60 degeee throttle or something similar? how does it work and what is needed to make it work? i can never get WOT.

·
Registered
579 Posts
First off Jimmy, This is Paul. Isabelle's daddy. Second, This process of a 1/6 turn throttle involves a new throttle cable (both pull and push turn cables), new throttle tube, 2 throttle reel cases (the upper and lower), and finally the actual reel. I think the only place you can buy it is kawi. Plus your throttle control has to be pretty good if you plan on being on the track more with this 1/6 turn. Dang Jimmy your form looks awful in the avatar. Terrible head roll and upper body positioning. But how was T-hill? Fun huh... I miss the track.:(

·
Registered
167 Posts
i hate to post another forum link here, but you can go this route, http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19436
i think the guy who sells them is rifleman. i picked one up a few months ago followed the instructions for the throttle housing and it works good. check the how to listed above. as far as the cables i turned the adjustment all the way in and it was enough to work properly.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Sweet, I didn't know Rifleman was making those for the ZX bikes too. I am familiar with him and his products because a buddy of mine has a '97 TLS that I have researched performance mods on. The Rifleman inserts are well made, I have seen them in person as my bud bought 2 of them. :D

·
Registered
230 Posts
guys.... for the 05 636.... brg racing makes a perfect insert... it's just a peice of circle shaped plastic, all it does is make the radius around the OEM throttle bigger, so the bike thinks it's got a bigger pull when you roll on it... think about it... bigger radius = less rotation... call em' up... it's like $35...

http://brgracing.com/

Kow Wee
(P.S. A 60 degree throttle is pointless unless your on the track...)

·
Registered
167 Posts
i dont agree that its pointless unless your on the track. it helped out for me because you dont have to reposition your hand and you dont have to twist as much, so it took a lot of stress of my wrist. i think riflemans is 25.00 shipped.

one more thing, if you do it make sure you take it easy until you get used to it.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
I use this on my RC51 and it is a bigtime improvement and how it should have come from the factory...

I will be installing my 1/6 turn Billet throtle set-up in another 40 days when i get home and will let you know if you want to wait, otherwise a 1/5 would be a better option if you have shitty throttle control..
The standard throttle aseembly is complete shit on our bikes...
Anyone who says that a 1/5 or 1/6 turn throttle is worthless for this bike needs to try to ride a bike with one...
Only down side is IF YOU HAVE SHITTY THROTTLE CONTROL
If you want to do it on the cheap here is a link that many people have used..

http://www.kolumbus.fi/koivupiha/sp1.htm

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So we dont need to get new throttle cables? all we need is the perch? my throttle control is great so I dont really need to worry about that. How much shorter is the throttle with the 1/6 and 1/5. What does that mean? Is it 1/6 shorter and then 1/5 shorter?

On the kawi website, it shows we need much more such as throttle tube, reel case, reel...

Paul, its the first trackday so im still learning but I didnt do too bad. About to go again real soon...

·
Registered
11 Posts
What you need is a Robby Moto Quick Throttle kit. Has new cables, Housing, and Includes four differnet ratio's that can be changed in minutes.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Slatch2
What you need is a Robby Moto Quick Throttle kit. Has new cables, Housing, and Includes four differnet ratio's that can be changed in minutes.
That sounds/looks perfect. Where do I go and get this and price?

·
Registered
579 Posts
M1215, so you're telling me you WOT all the time when you're on the street? If you do you're a dumbass. I don't see any feesable reason for someone to WOT on the street. So Jimmy whens the next time you're going to the track? I think next season I'm going to apply for my racing license. But I don't know, cost so much money and shit so many tracks you have to go to to gain points.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
OK lets break this down into the Super simple terms..
draw a circle on a peice of paper and use the top as the start and work clockwise..

1/4 turn is supposedly 90 degrees of rotataion from full closed to full open..

1/5 turn is 72 degrees of rotation from full closed to full open

1/6 turn is going to take 60 degrees of rotation to go from full closed to open...

that kit above looks pretty sweet...here is my kit.

·
Registered
167 Posts
sanjose636 i didnt tell you anything. who said any thing about riding wot all the time on the street. im not a 40 year old with a death wish. its obvious you dont have a clue about the 1/5 throttle mod.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Originally posted by Sanjose636
M1215, so you're telling me you WOT all the time when you're on the street? If you do you're a dumbass. I don't see any feesable reason for someone to WOT on the street. So Jimmy whens the next time you're going to the track? I think next season I'm going to apply for my racing license. But I don't know, cost so much money and shit so many tracks you have to go to to gain points.
he said nothing about going WOT all the time on the streets. re-read it.

i dont agree that its pointless unless your on the track. it helped out for me because you dont have to reposition your hand and you dont have to twist as much, so it took a lot of stress of my wrist. i think riflemans is 25.00 shipped.

one more thing, if you do it make sure you take it easy until you get used to it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
About 7 months ago or so someone did a write up on how to modify the stock one to a 1/5 throttle. Just FYI.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd like a shorter throttle too, but messing with cables and grips in those kits is pretty unattractive, as well as price. That poor man's throttle mod on the SP1 site looks a whole lot simpler than those kits & I can't see why if it's done right it wouldn't be as good.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by jdgun_13
OK lets break this down into the Super simple terms..
draw a circle on a peice of paper and use the top as the start and work clockwise..

1/4 turn is supposedly 90 degrees of rotataion from full closed to full open..

1/5 turn is 72 degrees of rotation from full closed to full open

1/6 turn is going to take 60 degrees of rotation to go from full closed to open...

that kit above looks pretty sweet...here is my kit.
thanks for the break down. now where did you get yours since the group buy never went through?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Originally posted by Kow wee
guys.... for the 05 636.... brg racing makes a perfect insert... it's just a peice of circle shaped plastic, all it does is make the radius around the OEM throttle bigger, so the bike thinks it's got a bigger pull when you roll on it... think about it... bigger radius = less rotation... call em' up... it's like $35...

http://brgracing.com/
Are you sure this is for the 05 636? When you go to their website, all they have is this part under Suzuki.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts