Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I unlowered my recently purchased '02 ZX6-R last night and took it to a shop to have the sag and damping adjusted. They said my rear shock is pretty much shot, it might have lost some of its nitrogen and that the valves are probably bad. They had to max out the adjustment in order to get the rebound set right, but that it wasn't quite there.

They said they could rebuild the shock but that the best thing to do would be to put something like and Ohlins shock on the back - more bang for the buck.

One of the guys there said I could probably find a decent-condition used Ohlins shock on ebay and just buy a new spring of the proper spec for my bike/weight. He said a top quality rear shock would make a huge difference in how the bike handles.

I'm not sure what to do. It seems to handle okay to me, but this is my first sport bike and I suspect I don't know what I'm missing. It doesn't seem particularly bouncy to me.

Any advice/input is greatly appreciated!!!

Jacob

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The question comes down to how much you want to spend?
You could keep the old shock (how many miles/km has it done) - you said it seems to handle ok - would the money be better spent elsewhere?
You could buy a shock off a later 636 to fit yours, the money you save could go towards new oil for the front end and maybe new springs to suit your weight. Chances are both ends need attention by now.
Yes you could go the ohlins route second hand off ebay, they arent cheap and will still need setting up/servicing for your riding style and weight.
If your road riding find a reputable company to rebuild the old one to suit you that should be good enough for 95% of riders.
If you have the bottomless wallet then go with the ohlins - if not think smart about what you want to do to your bike, budget for each area and be realistic about what your want from it (is it a trackday special or transport )
I had my rear shock rebuilt and its great for the road.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry... forgot to include some details...

It's got 18k+ miles on it right now. I commute about 15 miles on it whenever it's not raining hard. I like to get on nice curves in the country when I can and I taking turns fast enough to lean it way over. I have no plans/aspirations/time to do a bunch of track days or delude myself about one day becoming a racer. I just want to have fun with it and get 40+ mpg in the process.

I'd love to play on the track all the time with no gravel, oblivious cagers or police, but I'm a single parent and I have to schedule basic maintenance in the wee hours of the morning as it is.

I don't want to spend a ton of money with race-oriented parts if something cheaper would meet my needs just as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Dont waste your money on an Ohlins, Fox, or Penske. My friend Gary jaehne races a ZX6R with stock forks and shock and is regularly a top ten finisher in forty bike fields.

Get that ebay shock for forty bucks..!!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone know where to get parts to rebuild a stock rear shock, what parts to get or a howto on how it's done? I've got the factory service manual for my '02 zx6r but all it says is to replace the shock with a new one if it starts leaking.

I like the idea of not spending a ton of cash on it, and I really enjoy working in my garage, especially if when I can take my time, i.e. buy a used shock cheap on ebay and rebuild it in my spare time.

Thanks!

jacob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.