Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am considering a slightly used ZX6R as an all arounder. I have been riding over 20 years and have owned many many bikes - from sr500 singles to buells to 750 fours 550 fours on and on. Anyway - would the '01 ZX6r make for a good everyday bike - i would most likely be adding heli bars and soft bags immediatley. I commute almost daily 9weather permitting in the lovely northeast), get away for a couple of sporttouring rides (500 + miles per day) each year, and like to get in a Sunday morning sport ride every few weeks in the spring/summer/early fall.
[?]
Any honest advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Fatslow (matt)

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Yup. Exactly what I bought my 02 for. The next bike I get is going to have more torque and power though, maybe like a ZX12. I've found that the sport-tourer bikes are way too touring, so a comfortable sportbike is the best option.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I've done 300-400 mile a day trips and have only minor complaints when it comes to my 02. I would suggest getting some sort of throttle lock as my hand always goes numb after a while. My only other complaint would be get a softer seat. My butt was killing me after the end of the day. It may just be a product of my having a messed up hip and pelvis now, but these were the only two things I had a problem with. Great bike in the twisties and more than enough power to have a great time on. I don't think I could have made a better choice for an everyday bike either. This bike fits me like a glove and I would recommend one to anyone interested in a comfortable and potent 600. If you are worried about torque and power, try out the ZX9R. You can find them dirt cheap and they have the same body and feel of the ZX6R of that year. Good luck on your search and hopefully we get some pics of the new baby soon.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I second what Ken said. I use my 02 for a commuter and then beat on it come sunday. I figure Ill ride it till its dead and then look at something with more power.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I know it sounds a little backward, but I spent a lot of time this summer looking for a new 2002, instead of getting the 636. It wasn't a money issue.

In my opinion, the J3 is a more streetable supersport in every concieveable way, and since I was planning on using it for a commuter/sport-tourer, it was by far the best choice for me.

I would think that you'd have to be an amazing rider to go substantially faster on the 636 vs. the J3 on the racetrack, and you're giving up a more comfortable riding position and getting a much more twitchy front end. - great for the track, but if you spend the majority of the time streetriding, I'd say its a liability.

Apart from the J3, the VFR and maybe the YZF600, there isn't a better street/touring/track compromise bike being made.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Originally posted by GreenEnvy
00-02's are great for what you are looking for.
Very comfortable for long commutes, setup well for in town traffic, and also great for cutting loose in the twisties or trackdays
I second that. Perfect choice for what you describe you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Yeah, but I have one complaint. Riding in the city is a bit uncomfortable with mine. It became better after having the 12000 km service, but still not that easy as my brothers CBR600 from 2000. I will look at exhaust/jetting next season to make it better.
In the other hand great handling, enough power for riding insane speeds still, and lots of fun. Riding 300 - 500 km's is quite easy. And with warm tires and twisties, a weekend dream.:D

·
Registered
67 Posts
?? I don't quite understand in what way you find it uncomfortable to ride in the city? You mean the throttle response or something?

Originally posted by Wintermute
Yeah, but I have one complaint. Riding in the city is a bit uncomfortable with mine. It became better after having the 12000 km service, but still not that easy as my brothers CBR600 from 2000. I will look at exhaust/jetting next season to make it better.
quote]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.