Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I'm thinking of buying my friends 2002 zx-6r. It has average miles and some fairing rashing on one side; but the problem is the engine. I have not heard it run yet; but he tell's me that the shop in his area stated it needs a top end rebuild. He is offering me the bike for only 500 (and I know if all else fails I can part the bike off to make the money) but I'm thinking of making this a project bike, wifes bike, or just a re-sale for profit.

So good idea? And has anyone ever did their own top end rebuild and have advice?

Thanks in advance to all...

·
Registered
646 Posts
Doesn't sound like a bad deal. I think our motors are pretty cheap to buy any way. I would probly do it, if the title is clean.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the title is a salvage title.. but not 100% sure. I know the guy pretty well so we talked on what has been done to his bike and such so its not like nothing is hidden.

I think I am more leaning toward "playing" with the bike. I always wanted a streetfighter so this would be my chance and not to mention I could make my wife a streetfighter so two birds with one stone :) I don't have the motivation so much anymore on turning a profit on things; but maybe later...

·
Registered
646 Posts
i would find out how much it will cost to fix the top end or replace the motor before i got too involved in it. If you are just going to thrash it then maybe a salvage title isn't so bad, but i personally wouldn't buy a bike with a salvage title unless i saw how bad it was wrecked and how well it was rebuilt.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bike was rebuilt once and the frame is good as well as the engine (after it was fixed). But now the gaskets and valves in the engine are going bad (dont know which ones; but some are going out). I plan on taking it to my friends shop and give him a 12 pack to look over it and then deciding what for sure I plan to do with it.... I should have some pics of the bike tomorrow (recent since the last time I saw the bike was before me and the guy who is selling it to me deployed) and then after talking to my accountant.. err wife.. I should decide from there.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
You can get a used block and pistons/rods off ebay for $100. A head for another $150....if it even needs it. You can get a whole set of bodywork from Cali Cars and Bike for $550.

The front wheel if its straight is worth 2-300 alone.

If it is otherwise straight...as in wheels frame and such...at $500..?? I'll take 2.

Bike can get a salvage stamp if they get a scratch in the frame in an accident....restoring it to "new" becomes prohibitive and insurance totals it.

If the title can be registered for street use without an inspection...(did he have it registered up to now?)...then hell yeah.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would have bought this bike in a heart beat. There is prob more than a grand of parts that you can easily rip off the thing, or as long as you take your time engine swapping or top end redoing is not that hard. Bike 500, parts 500, plastics 500; 1500 for a 02 6R? Yes please!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts