Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the addition of the 10R for 2004 there is really no need to have a bike for basicallys every 100cc! Also, now that the world of sportbike racing has changed its rules about the 750cc 1000cc races, there is really no need to keep a 750 around is there? Also with the 10R out who would buy a 9R.
So the question is:
Will Kawasaki discontinue the ZX7R the ZX9R or Both?

What would you guys want them to do?

Also wouldn't it be amazing if they came out with a ZX10RR at 998/999cc's and a ZX10R at 1036 cc's. I'm sure they won't happen but it would be pretty cool.

·
Registered
331 Posts
the 10R was supposed to replace the 9R, as far as i know. and the 750 class has been dead for a while. tyhe R7 is gone, and Honda hasnt made a 700-class for quite some time. Suzuki is the only one left, and i think their 750 will die eventually too. they just have to get on the ball with their 600 :) time will tell --

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
With no home, the 750 will die. If Kawi is looking to really go racing again (looks that way), the 9 will die also. It's dated and at that size has no competitive home either.

There is also no need for a 1036 either. If they're touching what the gixxer is making, the extra ~36 isn't going to help out enough to warrant the different parts and they'd be right on the edge of mostly useless power for any practical purpose anyway.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Dealer told me that the 9R is out, and the 10R is replacing it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The ZX7R in street trim only exists for racing homolgamation purposes. They must sell a few to a die-hard fan base, too. I don’t believe they’re campaigned by many teams anymore, though I don’t closely follow racing. While an astounding bike back in the day, by modern standards they’re very heavy and underpowered. I watched my buddy’s ‘96 dyno 108 rwhp (DynoJet dyno) and tip the UPS scales at 523 lbs full of fluids. They haven’t changed too much since ’96, TTBOMK. To me, those stats aren’t acceptable compared to what else is available, but comparing Kawasaki to Suzuki usually starts the semi-literate “Ford vs. Chevy” screeds again, so best we not go there.

Plenty of guys laud the second-gen 9R as a great streetbike. With roughly 125 rwhp and reasonably light weight, not to mention comfortable ergos, it seems a winner to me within its venue. From a pure-performance perspective, again: other bikes bury it. See previous paragraph.

Both are carbureted, which seems old-school these days. (Funny how fast we acclimate to convenient technology: the Internet barely existed in useable form back in 1994 (remember Mosaic?), but today it’s ubiquitous.)

Kawasaki has a finite R&D budget; they’re a business like anything else. Developing new bikes takes significant time and money, offset by profits they’ll make from racing and streetbike sales the world over. Computerized modeling shortened the product cycle as of a few years ago, but it’s still a major push.

Kawasaki hasn’t introduced significant new sport models at the pace of the other big three the past eight years or so, for whatever reason. As I recall, Kawasaki and Suzuki now share aspects of their R&D, presumably for cost-savings reasons. We might wonder how (and if) the Kawasaki product life-cycle model might change the next couple years.

The new ZX-6 R and RR are a significant technological leap forward, and the 10R looks to do the same. Note both share styling cues and (probably) more than a few parts, not unlike the Gixxer 600/750/1000 line. Coincidence, market-driven forces, or convergence of technology and product lines?

The 7R and 9R will continue to exist as long as a market exists, and/or racing homolgamation rules require them on showroom floors.

-=DRB=-

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 7 is gone. OF course I've been saying that for a few years now. LOL

I think they might still make the 9 for another year or two. With everything going more and more sport oriented it might be smart to keep something around with more comfort.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
From what I've read and been told by dealers, this will be the last year for the 7R and the 9R.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Originally posted by DRB NW WA State USA

The new ZX-6 R and RR are a significant technological leap forward, and the 10R looks to do the same. Note both share styling cues and (probably) more than a few parts, not unlike the Gixxer 600/750/1000 line. Coincidence, market-driven forces, or convergence of technology and product lines?

The 7R and 9R will continue to exist as long as a market exists, and/or racing homolgamation rules require them on showroom floors.

-=DRB=-
making parts the same from one bike to the next makes alot of sense.. costs the corporation less, and allows the engineers to focus on one whole bike ideal instead of designing each bike different... if the same parts and characteristics work on a 600 theyll work on a 1000.. as far as the 7R and 9R it wont be long and theyll be gone... everyones going to the 1000 twins in the 750 class.. i love a 750 its a great "inbetween" choice to have.. but sadly their days are getting short... long live the SRAD gixxer 750... one of the best bikes ever =).... and since kawi is building the 10R theyll ditch the 9R... and the highly underdeveloped and unmodernized 7R has been dead... itll be gone soon too

·
Registered
671 Posts
I want a:
Ninja 250, 500, 600, 636, 750, 850 Raptor, 9R, 10R, ZX11, & ZX12....

Guess I need a bigger garage...

Now the only question is if Kawasaki is gonna build a 1000cc twin now...heh heh

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
The 7R can no longer be raced in most of the racing organizations next year, rules state a model can only run for 10 years If Im not mistaken, so if they cant race it, they wont make it.

There wasn't even a 7R offered this year in Europe, I think we only got it in North america and Australia?

The 9R is also endangered, since the 10R is so close to it size. The only saving grace the 9R has is that it will me much more comfortable then the 10R, so it might live on in some sort of sport-touring role.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
They've only continued offering the 7R for homologation reasons for the ZX7RR superbikes, and both the 7 and the 9 are gone next year, when the 10R will become the platform for all worldwide Kawi superbike teams.

Just the 6R and the 10R for the hardcores next year.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Originally posted by CdnNinjaZX6R

The 7R can no longer be raced in most of the racing organizations next year, rules state a model can only run for 10 years If Im not mistaken, so if they cant race it, they wont make it.

There wasn't even a 7R offered this year in Europe, I think we only got it in North america and Australia?

The 9R is also endangered, since the 10R is so close to it size. The only saving grace the 9R has is that it will me much more comfortable then the 10R, so it might live on in some sort of sport-touring role.
I was hoping they would drop the ZZR-600 (ZX6-D) and re-release the 00-02 ZX6R as the ZX6-J model. But that's just wishful thinking.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
For what I know, the ZX-7R is already discontinued, they don't manufacture it anymore, but some still exist in showrooms. New emission regulations don't do any favours for that ageing piece of work from Kawasaki Heavy Industries...

With the superbike rules allowing <1000cc fours to be competitive, I guess that the final dinosaurs in 750 sportbikes will be GSX-R 750 and MV Agusta.

Kawasaki is supposed to do a Z750/Z636 next year. We'll see. I think that the ZX-7R engine with EFI would be a good base for a fighter type bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would keep the zx7r, drop the 9r, restyle the 7r
make the 10r better than gsxr 1000 then make fun of
Suzuki for having such a crappy bike. make mo money
go home, get laid, fall asleep. its as simple as that

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think the answer is that our new 636 has just replaced the 7R and our new 10 has just replaced our 9R.

This trend has been a longtime in the making - convergance in CCs. For every additional engine size; there's a huge expense to the manufacturer and the manufacturer's are in this to make money just as in any other business.

Now with all that said, it would have been nice to see a redesign of the 7R. This was a great!!!!!! Fn bike but these days it is just too bulky and heavy compared to other street models. I would have personally jumped all over a new 7R if it came out.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.