Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just got my suspension set up here in slc by a recommend friend and this suspension place mentioned that Showa really f'ed up on the forks ( too quick of a rebound I think)? Have you guys heard of that? Quoted me to put race tech internals for about 800 bucks. He adjusted the settings all the way out and it's still stiff. Looking for imput here, thanks!

· Registered
3,843 Posts
My suspension guy likes the racetech stuff for the 09s. I've had no issues with the BPF so far though.

I can't imagine it'd be too stiff maxed out unless you weighed 80lbs...
-Cody

· Registered
445 Posts
When I had my suspension set up he told me basically the same thing.... However he said that the bpf are good enough for my application (track only bike, but not competitive) and to upgrade the rear shock first.

I am 6' and 190lbs... and my forks are not maxed out... he said that he has had problems with super light riders and the bpf... but not with guys my size...

How many miles are on your bike? Forks ever been serviced?

· Premium Member
4,773 Posts
I put BPF on my 06 and after a just one track day, I think they work well....good enough for faster intermediate riding anyway. I have penske valving in my 05 track bike and there were no glaring differences.

800 sounds a little steep...the race teck valve kit is $300. springs another $100 if needed.

· Registered
272 Posts
yes^Aren't the BPF valving kits...retail 299. Then add in seals and oil and springs and you are likely close to $450 retail in parts
So that would put his labor at $350 so if he is removing them from the bike and polishing the inners and cleaning everything and installing both dampers etc...$350 may be slightly high but not really too bad.

- I think $650-$680 is a awesome deal-$800 aint highway robbery though, but you'll know you paid.

I am sure if you brought in loose forks you could save yourself some monies.

By the sounds of your description your set up guy is saying even with maximum rebound damping adjustment , it still isn't enough (still rebounds too fast). Which has not been my experience-does the bike already have stiffer fork springs installed? Because damping valving is based on spring rates-if they got significantly stiffer the damping would go to shit...

How does it ride for you??

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Not taken issue of loose forks, extra 65 on top of the invoice. I'll be honest with you guys, I have no idea what the diffence would be. Maybe I could tell after riding side by side but I probably won't. The thing most disconcerting is that he slammed Showa from the start, making it out to be a really crappy job (concept good but execution bad) and for me not knowing suspensions on motorcycles very well, it seemed he knew what he was talking about.

· Registered
272 Posts
If I were you. (mind you this is based on reading your 2 posts and about 30 seconds of thought)

I would buy the proper rate fork springs-it appears he is saying 1.0 kg/mm (and I am not doubting that- but I would go on racetech or sonic springs website and use there spring rate calculator to verify)

Anyways, I would get them from Sonic springs - about $86 shipped to you, much better than $110 for racetech (not dissing racetech-but saving money is saving money)

I would then have those installed and switch to 7.5w oil (and not the $26 a liter shit, you can get the maxima blue labeled fork oil for about $15 a liter or green labeled for about $8 a liter) --perhaps you should buy this as well and just bring it in with the fork springs and loose forks--if you can get them off-

the thicker oil viscosity would give you more compression and rebound damping-which (it sounds like you are a street rider) would likely be all the improvement you would ever need or notice with those new springs.

This would get you down to likely a $200 price range-and you would likely see enough noticeable improvement to definatley be worth that.

· Registered
488 Posts
I know a kid racing supersport on the OEM forks and he's getting podiums and all so it can't be that bad. He even tried some other stuff but went back to OEMs. He's like 175lbs so not the heaviest of the guys either.

I also had 2 susp guys tell me the OEM forks are ok and to concentrate my efforts on the rear shock which they say is pretty bad.

I'm on the fast group on track days and I'm about to do my first race and that's all on 100% OEM susp other than revalving the OEM shock (superstock rules here). Never even had the famous 'chatter' people complain about.

So from my point of view, when a susp guy is bagging Showa from word 'go' it sounds like he's trying to push you something you don't need or at least don't need YET.

· Registered
76 Posts
I know a kid racing supersport on the OEM forks and he's getting podiums and all so it can't be that bad. He even tried some other stuff but went back to OEMs. He's like 175lbs so not the heaviest of the guys either.

I also had 2 susp guys tell me the OEM forks are ok and to concentrate my efforts on the rear shock which they say is pretty bad.

I'm on the fast group on track days and I'm about to do my first race and that's all on 100% OEM susp other than revalving the OEM shock (superstock rules here). Never even had the famous 'chatter' people complain about.

So from my point of view, when a susp guy is bagging Showa from word 'go' it sounds like he's trying to push you something you don't need or at least don't need YET.
it sounds like u know what u r talking abt...
can u advise me what a base-line suspension set-up of BPF should be for intermediate group cuz i have zero knowledge abt suspension..
my weight is 190 w/ gears and it is a dedicated track bike..
thank you in advance

· Registered
28,880 Posts
There were quite a few WERA experts and even AMA racers riding on the stock BPF internals for quite a while when they first came out, even after replacement internals came out. I have zero personal experience with Kawasaki's BPF forks, but judging from the number of people I have seen running them competitively, they can't be that bad.

· Registered
488 Posts
it sounds like u know what u r talking abt...
can u advise me what a base-line suspension set-up of BPF should be for intermediate group cuz i have zero knowledge abt suspension..
my weight is 190 w/ gears and it is a dedicated track bike..
thank you in advance
Best advice I can give you is to not set up your suspension based on internet advice!

Find yourself a decent reputable suspension technician ( ask racers - they will always who he is) and get him to dial it in for you. Then take take notes of what he's done and test it at the track. Then play around with it and take notes of the differences you felt.
A good suspension guy will even help you with that. Every now and then I take pics of the tires and send them to my techinician and he advises me on what is needed/wrong (i.e. more rebound, tire pressure, etc).'

Not what you wanted to hear but definitely what you need!:D

· Registered
76 Posts
Best advice I can give you is to not set up your suspension based on internet advice!

Find yourself a decent reputable suspension technician ( ask racers - they will always who he is) and get him to dial it in for you. Then take take notes of what he's done and test it at the track. Then play around with it and take notes of the differences you felt.
A good suspension guy will even help you with that. Every now and then I take pics of the tires and send them to my techinician and he advises me on what is needed/wrong (i.e. more rebound, tire pressure, etc).'

Not what you wanted to hear but definitely what you need!:D
last time i had a bad experience cuz a susp guy was also riding on the track...therefore, he didnt wanna be bothered after the first set up and i wasted 40 bucks for couple turns... i guess i gotta give another shot...
thank you anyway

· Registered
3,843 Posts
There were quite a few WERA experts and even AMA racers riding on the stock BPF internals for quite a while when they first came out, even after replacement internals came out. I have zero personal experience with Kawasaki's BPF forks, but judging from the number of people I have seen running them competitively, they can't be that bad.
One of our instructors for the track days I go to has an 09 with stock front forks.
-Cody

· Registered
10,005 Posts
the bpf are notorious for chatter when at a decent pace, at min do a racetech internal and sprung for you.. any stock mass produced part can only do so good, if your just street riding keep what ya got, if you track it more then redo them,

· Registered
488 Posts
Again, I'm yet to feel any chatter... and I wouldn't do anything to the forks till I felt it at least. And even then there are heaps of ways around chatter and it's not something that only happens to the BPFs.

If anyone here watched The Doctor, the Texas Tornado and The Kentucky Kid (name of the movie may vary!! LOL) you might remember Hayden mentioning 'chatter' and also saying that he sometimes just adds 'a little' gas to tension the chain up a bit and keep the swing arm in check. Chatter solved.

It does sound heaps cheaper, easier and more ride control focused (i.e. fix the rider not the bike) than changing internals. I'd go with that first and invest on the bike as your laptimes require.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.