Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen some riders out there that have their liscense plate bolted sideways on the back of the passenger foot pegs... Does anybody know if this is illegal? Cool to do? Why is this done?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
It's probably done because they have an undertail kit and dont have the proper brackets or just dont want the plate to be under the tail.

I got a ticket for having my vertical on the swing arm, maybe they got a ticket for it as well and decided to put it horizontal in the way you mentioned. I'm not sure, I haven't seen it yet.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I did it because after pulling my mud flap off i liked the clean look of the undertail.... So i put my plate on the side....... Just looks cleaner IMO!!!!!!!!

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Lots of the Harley crowd (and almost ALL the custom choppers) have their tags mounted vertically by the rear axle nut. You can BET they don't get cited for it, but we would.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I always thought it would scrape on full lean

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Originally posted by anarion55
Lots of the Harley crowd (and almost ALL the custom choppers) have their tags mounted vertically by the rear axle nut. You can BET they don't get cited for it, but we would.
Damn straight, I got cited for it in June and I have a court date on sep 12. I'm not looking forward to having to miss a few guitar lessons at work, but I'm a man of principal and I'm sure i can get the fine reduced if not completely thrown away.

In Ny, it is illegal and it is a 25 dollar ticket with a 55 dollar surcharge. Isn't that a smack in the face, the god damn surcharge is more than 200% the price of the ticket?

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
the way i understand it.

the tag has to be mounted horizontal just like any vehicle out there, from the factory all tags are mounted the same way. u can move the tag but it still has to be 'flat' & "HORIZONTAL" just like the gov. makes the manufactors put the tag holder on any vehicle. anything else is illegal. will u get pulled and ticketed? maybe, maybe not. but you know the chance your taking before you do it.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
The state statutes also specify that it has to be illuminated at night, unobstructed from a certain field of view, and "clearly visible" at a certain distance.

Had some dickhead deputy pull me over in my truck because my aftermarket bumper "partially obscured" the bottom of my tag... and it's been that way since I bought the truck new in 1994! The cop was maybe 5'2", so that's probably why he couldn't see over my bumper. The point is, just because you get away with it for years, doesn't mean you always will. So now when I get a new tag for the truck, I drill new mounting holes that position it 2" higher.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Originally posted by 99Ninja6r
why give them 1 more reason to pull you over?
[:+1]

REALLY! There's enough BS reasons for them to hassle us; why ask for trouble by giving them such an obvious one? And once they have you pulled over, they start fishing - license/registration/insurance/exhaust/turn signals/mirrors...
I've actually seen guys get cited for several of those at once, and it all started because their tag wasn't mounted correctly.

My rear fender is "bobbed" just below the plate, so my tag is still in the stock position, but I have had cops question it a few times.

·
Registered
474 Posts
tag must be mounted horizontally (read left to right) in NJ.. cant speak for any other state, but I would expect the same/similar.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.