Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well I got the bike back from its 600 miles service, put about another 400 mi on her right about to the 1K mark. So I decided it is time for some real riding. First off took the bike to 15~16K for the first time, she is really smooth up top and I think I am going to do the jumper mod as its just kinda blah from 13 - 15~16K. But these bikes are not for straight line so I headed for the twisties

Had a blast, was able to start to work her in the turns a bit and eliminated the chicken stripes that were starting to look so prominent from break in. Bike is a real joy for a twistie road. Ran about 90 miles round trip on the curves until the sun started to set and headed home (well to a friends garage for now as I just moved and my garage is not quite ready for the ZX or my WRX).

Long story short, friends driveway is gravel, so in the last 15 ft of my ride I layed it down. Not really sure what happened, probably just my stupid lack of attention, but I came in straight at about 10 miles an hour. Didn't lock up the brakes or turn but hit a seam in the gravel and flopped over the high side.

Frame slider was destroyed, and the lower fairing has some superficial scratches, most will buff out, maybe 3 or 4 won't. No cracks, gouges, or otherwise damage to the plastics. Just pissed at myself for not slowing down a little more or not really looking at the gravel for seams or ruts.

oh well - live and learn. Always ride in full gear so at such a little spill not even a bruise or scratch.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well that sucks!! at least theres not much damage and your ok!! i've got i gravel drive at home and they are right pain in the a*se. I've had a few close calls to. Best fetch the T-Cut!!

·
Registered
714 Posts
That really blows. sorry! I know the hazards of gravel, my driveway is gravel, and L shaped, about 200 yards long. I always have to watch! At least you didn't mess it up too much.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Gravel

I know exactly what you mean. I went for a long ride to Northern Ontario all day Sunday. On a nice country twisty road there was a construction zone where they are doing work on the road. They laid down a bed of gravel. I forgot to look for a track thru the gravel from previous cars and though I slowed down considerably next thing I know the bars turn violently to the right and I feel the rear tire sliding out. I managed to save it and recovered quickly.:eek:

You really have to be careful in gravel and go slower than slow. I was lucky this time and I hope it doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
aww, man i opened the thread feeling really bad for you, thinking you were gonna be off the saddle for maybe a few weeks, only to realize you slid in some gravel!

Glad to hear your ok, now buff out the scratches get some more sliders & get back to (safe) riding!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah it more just hurt my pride / ruined the ride / pissed me off that was so stupid. I am gonna pick up a new slider set today, buff it tomorrow, and take her back to that same road on Thurs or Fri

Sushi

its a little outdated pic but she doesnt look a whole lot different - painted side skirts were added last month

as far as mods the basics are PNP'd VF39, 800cc inj, 255 walbro, 3 in bellmouth turboback, water injection, pulley kit, upgraded TMIC - self tuned with UTEC and innovate w/b - dynoed 293 hp and 278 ft/lbs

v9 STI strut inserts in v7 JDM STi housings, JDM v7 STi RA springs, GrpN rear tophats, RCE camber/caster plates front, cusco 22mm f/r bars, upgraded poly bushings, f/r pillowball endlink, f/r strut tower bars, TIC shifter bushings, 225 width 615s or NT01s depending on how broke I am. I am sure there are more but you get the drift

·
Registered
92 Posts
Those are huge injectors for such a small turbo and hp numbers, why did you go with 800's?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
two reasons - money (flow benched modded stockers cost like me like $75) and IDCs (I almost never see IDCs over 60%)

the only real downside to running much bigger injectors than you need is small fuelling requirements where the injector on time is very short. This can lead to driveability issues and poor idle. But spend enough time looking at STFT and LTFT as well as looped feedback from the O2 and you can smooth it out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts