Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, what are the pros and cons for sintered and organic pads.
noise,effect on disc,wear etc etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Your question depends on the sort of use you're looking to get out of your bike, not to mention it is very important that the pads are paired up with the right kind of discs.

Ductile iron rotors are built for organic pads. Steel rotors are built for sintered pads. While the latter does NOT offer the kind of all-out stopping power of organic pads on ductile iron discs, it DOES offer more than sufficient stopping power over a lower and wider temperature range.

The iron rotor/organic pad combination is advantageous in a racing environment where the brakes are used ferociously and frequently keeping rotor/pad temperatures high where this set up works best.

Regarding noise and disc wear, I can't answer those questions because I don't know - I've never ridden on the iron/organic set up, moreover, if you're braking that hard all the time on the road, you're asking for trouble anyway and you should be at the track in the first place!

The most important thing is that you match the pads to the discs correctly as was mentioned above. Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
"The most important thing is that you match the pads to the discs correctly"

Absolutely. Which in this case (ZX6R) it would be sintered.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Asking because I bought a pair of sintered yesterday. On the package it says there are some carbon/kevlar stuff. But it is described for touring / cruising use. Can anyone give more info on carbon/kevlar stuff?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
The easiest way to tell what sort of discs you have is by how readily they rust. Stainless steel rotors might get spots of corrosion on them but ductile iron rotors rust a little bit over night.

If your ZX-6R is stock, it'll have stainless rotors on it. Offhand I can't think of a production motorcycle that still comes with iron rotors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.