Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK after putting together every tip on wheeling ive been trying for the past week and so far I can clutch 2nd up with no problem. Ive only done it sitting down because when I stand up it feels like im going to fly off. Im 6'1 so when I stand up it feels really high.

The ? is can you hit the balace point siting down. It feels like it gets pretty high but it doesnt seem like what ive heard the balance point feels like. I was hoping to master the sit downs before trying the stand ups.

I must say thanks to anyone who has posted info on wheelies. Ive learned everything from this board. Hopfully I can get some pics up soon.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
u wont be able to see over the windshield so you have to get it at least that far. I can do sitdowns for about 1/2 mile or more but i can keep stand ups up all day. i think stand ups are easyier to balance then sitdowns.

·
Registered
415 Posts
i know how you feel! i am 6'7" and finding your balance point doing a stand up is freakin impossible!!! i tried doing sit downs with my stronger foot (my right foot) on the back peg and then as i got the bike up started standing. after awhile you get used to the motion of moving up. you are going to have to squat at first then gradually stand :) you can also try putting your knee (shin) where the back seat and front seat meet and balance that way. i can ride those things for miles (plus you can see over the windscreen ;)) let me know how it goes!

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
ive the balance point once and it was real high on sitdowns. i know if i hit it again i can ride it longer:D

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Buy a good stunt video and you will see where the bp is. Sitting down it is way up there. You won't be able to see over the screen. You will have to look to the side to see where you are going. It is hard to keep it there b/c you only have a certain amount of angle to play with. Doing standups you have a lot more angle to play with.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I guess i need to get off my lazy ass and do stand ups. I have some stunt videos but watching those doesnt help me, I bet if I could get someone to video tape me It would help alot.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
That would help. When you get a wheelie you think is almost there, go and look at the tape and I bet you will be surprised by how far away from it you are. I know by looking at some of my pics that I can get to it but when I get it there the rear wheel wants to fishtail really bad and I bring it back down some. I am going to start back trying standups now. My balls are finally growing back since my accident.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Sitdowns just take practice. I can goes miles doing stundup's but only about a mile sitdown. Thats going to be my next project (sitdown 12s)to work on as soon as I get a little better at standup 12s.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey melloyello how did you wreck? Just wondering.

So should I do the same thing im doing for sit downs but just stand up before. When I say the "same thing" I mean being in second and clutching it up. I know some people say to bounce it but Ive tried that with no luck at all. I have alot of confidence in clutching them up.

Thanks for the imput so far guys :D

·
Registered
278 Posts
when you bounce them it's all about timing...bouncing and clutching could possible get you up in third gear.

when your bouncing your suspension you need your power on the bike to kick on the rebound while at the same tiem you pull up.

it's all about practice, take small steps and just keep practicing, you'll get it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Melloyello,
Damn man that suxs, I picture something like that happening to me and it makes me want to stop trying wheelies and stuff but its like im addicted now.

Last night I tried standing up and cluthing second but still a no go. Tried bouncing but I know my timing is way off. Oh well Ill just have to keep trying. Atleast I can pull up second gear sit downs anytime I want, at first i never thought Id ever get the wheel off the ground.

·
Registered
415 Posts
everyone is worried about looping out...well i think i can say 99% of riders do :D i think that is why people keep doing them! that adrenaline rush you get when you get it up, ride it out, then sit it down...wish i wasn't at work and it wasn't cold as hell outside...i would be riding them now! [:M121]

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Sometimes it is fun to see just how far back you can take it and still bring it back down. What a rush!

·
Registered
64 Posts
lean back after your up, it helps alot. use your body wieght to balance it . it wont have to be so high. once yopu cant see over the bike, lean back slowly, youll notice that it takes less throtle to hold it up. your arms should be locked straight out.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I so no the feeling of being to tall and tryin stand-ups, its scary I know I'm 6'9. I haven't quite got em yet but I know if I just keep on tryin ill get em. I was tryin to stand up on my first gears the other day and it felt like I was gonna loop it a few times but other times it didn't feel that scary so I'm sure if you keep on tryin you'll get em

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah my thing is im not consistent on my sit downs. Sometimes they come up high and other times they dont. So when I try to do a standup, Im standing and it feels strange and I know if i try to pull it up its going to get real crazy real fast. I think I need to learn the bounce. Because I think clutching it is what freaks me out the most when Im trying to do a standup.[B)]

·
Registered
264 Posts
Ok, after reading all of this I have to comment:

(just to mention that I ride stock gearing)

First, I don't know what's the problem getin' it up in 2nd without clutch. If my tank is not full I don't even have to bounce it. I wheelie 3rd up with just a pop of the cluct and a bounce. The most important thing is timing and feeling on throttle. Concerning 2nd gear, I suspect that the problem of all of you who can't throttle it up is that you don't open your throttle full. Try this: grab the throttle more from the front side so when you are at 8-9k (or what ever rpm's you prefer) your hand still has a lot of spin and then you can pull it to the end. Later you'll see it is not necessary to full open the throttle to bring it up in 2nd.

I do 2nd like this - go to 10k, then let off throttle a bit(aprox. -2k) and than open it full. Just the same moment Im done with opening throttle I give it a little pull on bars - and the baby goes up like nothing. Im 6'9" so before I pull it up Im in a sort of crouching position, but when I get it high enough I stand up. Sometimes I like to hop on rear pegs cuz my BP is easier to control, and Im not so high over windscreen.

1st gear - I rarely do it stand up, But if I do my left leg is on rear peg and the right on front covering the brake. 1st is a very touchy so I wouldn't recommend you to go for BP, especialy not in sittin' position. I also don't have a flat back tire, wich is must have on slow motion 1st gear wheelies so I don't do them often.

Ok, that is about it. Everyone excuse me on any bad english. Some things I coudn't explain good enough but I hope you'll figure it out.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.