Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about lowering my 06 ZZR it looks pretty nice dropping the front. I was wondering how hard or easy it was, whats involved and if they're any disadvantages in doing this.

·
Registered
155 Posts
its like 3 or 4 bolts on each side clamping the forks to the triple. i put a jack under my headers and jacked it up till it was touching the headers and loosened the bolts and then lowered the jack alittle so the triple can slide down the forks and the used the jack to position the height of the bike the way I wanted and then tightened it all up. Use locktight and torque them. (I actually raised my bike back up with this method cause it was lowered but I reversed the intructions so they will work for you) Oh ya the disadvantages will be handling. It will turn in quicker and maybe alittle less stable because the weight is leaning forward and the geometry is all "crooked". And you might bottom out the front part of the fairings when hitting bumps.

·
Registered
939 Posts
the best way i found to lower it is to lower one fork at a time and take it slow undo all the bottom bolts then loosen the top to let it lower as slowely as possible. the way i raised it back up, i used tie down strapes with the wrenching mechanism put a towl over the fork head and looped the strap around the lower triple tree and over top of fork then wrenched it up one notch at a time.

i currently running my bike lowered 15mm in the front which is a little over 1/2 inch and stock rear
for me this made the bike go quicker into turns, sit slightly lower so my feet sit flat on the ground and i like the look better.

actually sportbike magazine suspension guide recommended for our bike lowering the front 10mm

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
make sure you get a very high quality metric metal ruler. i got a 6" from sears hardware for like $5. if you dont lower both sides the same amount your bike will handle wierd.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I heard that the handling will be crap, also it'd be harder to do wheelies, and when you do them it'll be very harsh on the front when you're coming down.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
fugly

I personally think if you're just in it for the look, either stretch the swingarm, or don't drop the rear...what do you guys think?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was thinking of lowering mine about 1" just so I could stand flat footed. Heard too many stories about the poor performance of turns, so I deal with it the way it is. Anyone disagreen with the handling issues I have read about?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
WELL WITH MINE BEING STRETCH IF I GET ON THE THRTTLE A LIL AROUND A TURN THE WHEEL GETS LIGHTS AND FISHY. KINDA SCARED MYSELF A FEW TIMES. I ACTUALLY LEAN MORE NOW THEN I DID WHEN IT WAS STOCK THO. BUT IM ALSO MORE COMFORTABLE THEN I WAS BEFORE

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have my bike lowered. I had it done, I didn't do it myself. The rear has 3 hight settings and I am in the middle one.
This is my 1st bike and I lowered it the day I bought it so I could easly reach the ground. I love the way it looks and rides. My tech said it rides great too...

·
Registered
25 Posts
yea most of them have 3 setting. Top hole is stock hight second hole is 1.5" down and 3rd is 3" down thats whats im running 3" in back and 2.5" drop on the forks in front. I did it my self its really easy to do took about 30-45 min for front and back

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just dropped my 06 ZZR 1.5 inches in the rear so my wife could stand flat-footed at a stop. Used a set of lowering links from Diamond Powersports in the rear, and then adjusted the front forks so the geometry remained level. Not sure if I just don't understand the finer points of riding yet, but I have noticed NO difference at all in the ride handling since it has been dropped. Bike looks good, rides good, no problems at all!

Good luck, and happy riding -

1 - 20 of 29 Posts