Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Overwhelming Splendidery
13,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I am mainly just posting this here so I can keep a log for myself of what I need to replace on the bike, and it's easier to compare pics to figure out what I need and update shit on here.

I suppose I'll throw up a bit of it's history in here too.

The CBR was my friend Trevor's dream bike. He started riding on an '06 Ninja 650, which was a great beginner bike, but deep down he always wanted a CBR. One day in March '09 we had planned a ride, but what I didn't tell him was that I picked up my brand new 6R.

It didn't take Trev long to know that he needed a 600 to compete ;) So there was no better time for him to start looking for his new baby. In the early Winter of 2010, he found a guy selling the bike with ~2000km on it, and we were on the way to picking it up!:

Trev and his baby:

But it didn't take long to realize that it needed some mods. I mean, look at those signals? WTF! So he got some flush mounts and we put them on, as well as some 6000k HIDs:

As well as the sweet Yoshi RS5 slip on:

Anyways, last year (in 09) we had planned a 10 day trip for the next summer into the mountains of beautiful BC. It was all going amazingly, until on July 21st, he crashed on this corner (the picture was taken in the direction we were heading; I had turned around):

... and was crushed by his bike against the other side of the creek bank, killing him instantly. (my little blurb about that is here: http://www.kawiforums.com/two-wheeled-discussion/160816-bike-trip-ended-tragically.html).

This is how it now sits in my den:

Now, I have ended up with his bike as my own, as if he could not have it, he would have wanted it to be with me. After much deliberation on what to do, I am not going to part it out. I am going to fix it. It is not meant to end like this (for the bike and for Trev), so here I am.

·
Registered
17,507 Posts
great pictorial and story slev. again sorry about your boy but he would be glad to see you reviving that bike back to its former glory or better.

·
Overwhelming Splendidery
13,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have since pulled all the farings off so I can actually see what I need.

Don't know if it will end up as track or street, so I'll just throw it all on here

STUFF TO REPLACE/BUY:

TOOLS

-3/8" Torque Wrench
-1/2" Torque Wrench
-T-Handle Allen Wrench set

PLASTICS
-Upper Cowl/Front Spoiler Assembly (P/N: )
-Windscreen (P/N: )
-Headlight Cover (P/N: )
-Front Fender (P/N: )
-Middle Cowl (Right) (P/N: )
-Upper Inner Cowl (P/N: )
---Websites
- CBRFairings.com ---> (MORIWAKI EDITION) :confused:
- Motorcycle-Fairings.com
- EasyFairings.com

AIR DUCT

-Air Duct (P/N: )
-Grill (P/N: )
-Duct Attachment (P/N: )
(Ram air duct and upper stay assembly)

OTHER
-Radiator (P/N: )
-Gauge Cluster (P/N: )
-Rear Heat Guard (P/N: )
-Right Rearseat (P/N: )
-Right Foot Peg (P/N: )
HRC Rear Brake Reservoir Kit - Honda

... and my dream list for the truck!

2/4 drop kit - Groundforce
Supercharger :)eek:) - SMS 296
SRT 10 Rims

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
i say fix it in memory of your fallen friend, i have been in this game a long time...it will help to heal your wounded soul to do this thing.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sorry about your loss, must be hard still... I think that is a great idea to bring the bike back to life in memory of Trevor.

JimT

·
Overwhelming Splendidery
13,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry about your loss, must be hard still... I think that is a great idea to bring the bike back to life in memory of Trevor.

JimT
Thanks man. yeah, it's still weird. Better now than it was a few months ago though :D

·
Registered
404 Posts
I think it is great that you are going to revive your fallen friends bike. It sounds like it is the way that he would have wanted it. Again, sorry for your loss. Hopefully getting his bike back together will help to ease some of your pain.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Your intentions are what any good friend would do in the name and memory of your "buddy" . Subscribed !
Totally agree! I think this is a great way to remember your fallen friend and enjoy life as it comes at you. It's one of those things you never forget.

·
Overwhelming Splendidery
13,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i think it's cool you're fixing it, but i dunno how i would feel about riding a bike a close friend died on.

good luck getting it back together though, slev
I'm with ya Rob. I don't know if I'll ride it... I don't have much of a need for another 600 either. So I am still a bit lost too :)

·
I ♥ Cute Cats!
22,795 Posts
Oh crap. I didn't put two and two together as to where you got the CBR you've been talking about from. I look forward to you restoring it Slev :thumbup:

·
Hooligan
1,704 Posts
sucks man sorry to hear :(

but yeah youll feel better fixing up his bike n whatnot.
in sept of 05 me friend colin and i were struck by an elderly man who ran a redlight, Colin passed away-

its a tough spot to get through- but we all got your back .

good luck

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
41,542 Posts
good shit man... this is exactly what I would do if this happened to one of my friends.

best of luck to you!
It totally helps that the 09 CBR is a kickass bike.

Not that I'm biased or anything.

·
Registered
247 Posts
good luck w/ this man. Sorry to hear about your friend. Losing a loved one is never easy.

His cbr is the exact same model I had (ever so briefly). Beautiful machine.
I actually have a rear solo cowl for that exact model and color. If youre interested in it, let me know.

It'd be nice to see it go towards something like this instead of collecting dust in my basement.

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
41,542 Posts
I have since pulled all the farings off so I can actually see what I need.

Don't know if it will end up as track or street, so I'll just throw it all on here

STUFF TO REPLACE/BUY:

TOOLS

-3/8" Torque Wrench
-1/2" Torque Wrench
-T-Handle Allen Wrench set

PLASTICS
-Upper Cowl/Front Spoiler Assembly (P/N: )
-Windscreen (P/N: )
-Headlight Cover (P/N: )
-Front Fender (P/N: )
-Middle Cowl (Right) (P/N: )
-Upper Inner Cowl (P/N: )

AIR DUCT

-Air Duct (P/N: )
-Grill (P/N: )
-Duct Attachment (P/N: )

OTHER
-Radiator (P/N: )
-All 3 headlights (P/N: / / )
-Gauge Cluster (P/N: )
-Rear Heat Guard (P/N: )
-Right Rearseat (P/N: )
-Right Foot Peg (P/N: )
-Mirrors (P/N: / )
-ebay
-600rr.net
-WERA forum
-craigslist

I think you can spend under a grand if you shop well.

I repaired my bike, with a little less damage than that to how it is now using those 4 sources.

My bike looked mostly the same...

Probably better off with a set of aftermarket fairings, I think. Do some research on rr.net and see which companies people liked and didn't like as far as quality, fitment, all that. Unless you really want OEM which is of course best but also a lot more expensive. And (used) 09 fairings still aren't that easy to come by yet. Most stuff is still 07-08 stuff.

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
41,542 Posts
P.S. I have a right lower fairing. I didn't see it on your list but it looks broken in your picture?

I think it has a few scratches but I'm not using it. I bought it with the intention of putting back the 09 style fairings but it hasn't happened yet.

That's about all I have that I can help you out with as far as spare parts laying around.

I'll give it to you for cheap if you want it. Will take a more current pic when I get home from school in a couple of weeks if you want.

You should be able to figure it out but let me know if you have any issues when you get around to putting the bike back together. It's pretty straightforward...

1 - 20 of 70 Posts