Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m very pleased: the ’03 seems to be easy on race rubber. I have a Rennsport RS2 front and Supercorsa PS2 rear (fairly sure about the “RS” and “PS” part; I know both are the “2” compound). They’ve worn quite well the past couple track days.

Soon it’ll be time for more tires. I’m a track day only kind of guy, at the moment, but don’t skimp on tires.

So I’ve got a guy here claiming slicks both wear and stick better than some of the DOT race tires, like Supercorsas/Rennsports. I don’t need more traction, but better wear can only be a good thing. Slicks cost more, indeed, so that might end up a factor as well.

Any comments? I’ve never used slicks.

Thx,

-=DRB=-

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have used slicks a fair bit. As far as wear goes I didn't find any difference. Both DOT and slicks go off at about the same time. The slicks definitely stick better though. I personnaly run DOT's because you can run them on the street after the track days or you can always sell them to some squid that want's to look cool because you know they will never get their bikes over to the edge. LOL

I have a set of Michelin slicks for sale right now for $200 brand new. I bought a couple of sets because the price is right but I don't like the way they handle. I am a Dunlop guy. Let me know if you are interested.

Faerge[}:)]

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you know how to read them let me know and I will tell you. ;>)

I haven't figured it out yet. Anyways if they don't sell I will just use them at the Streets of Willow on the 18th. I need new tires but can't afford a new set of 208s. Man I need to get a job.

Faerge[}:)]

·
Registered
514 Posts
I use slicks and DOT's. The slick may last a bit longer than the dots but it is all relevant to the compound you get. In most cases the softer the compound the shorter the life.
On a second note I have some 208A's for sale. Used 1 heat cycle and 30 laps. $100 plus shipping for Tx.
-Gabe
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Originally posted by DRB NW WA State USA

So I’ve got a guy here claiming slicks both wear and stick better than some of the DOT race tires, like Supercorsas/Rennsports. I don’t need more traction, but better wear can only be a good thing. Slicks cost more, indeed, so that might end up a factor as well.

Any comments? I’ve never used slicks.

Thx,

-=DRB=-
Few thoughts about slicks

for:
- better traction (on the dry)
- racy look ;)

against:
- With more traction you might need a steering damper on a -03.
- might not last as many heat cycles as track oriented street tyres e.g. Rennsprot Streetrace or Pirelli Supercorsa/Diablo Corsa.
- price
- might take longer to warm up
- may require faster pace to maintain optimum traction and temperature

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.