Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
cyclops24,

How much do you weigh? I am 170 and have not had a problem with low rpm hesitation. Also I don't expect it to take of at low revs but it certainly doesn't hesitate.

luv2surf
2003 636

·
Registered
755 Posts
On an '03 especially, you want to cruise at 8 grand so there is no hesitation, or drop a gear and get on the gas.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Maybe the throttle bodies are out of sync? Mine doesn't have any hesitation. The 636 the nicest fueled FI bike I've ridden.

Gary M
www.bmgracing.com
CCS SW AM #28
'03 Kawi ZX636R
'00 Duc 748R

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Wow, my '03 pulls smooth and steady from idle to redline without any hiccups, even with the aftermarket exhaust installed. It really is a nearly flawless EFI delivery system.

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
122 Posts
I am 216lbs. Yeah, I figured I just need to keep the revs up some and not let them drop so low. Its not really a stumble just like you are cruising and then crack the throttle quick and it just takes a second until it starts to feed the fuel enough for the motor to start pulling. When and if the weather ever gets decent here again, I will see what the lowest gear is that I can get it to do it in and go from there.

2003 ZX6R Silver

·
Registered
76 Posts
Originally posted by cyclops24

I wanted to know if anyone has expereinced a slight hesitation on the bottom end. I usually notice it in the low RPMS like 5k and below. If I am cruising and crack the throttle open, there is a slight hestitiation then it starts pulling. Maybe I am in just too high of a gear and letting the revs drop too low then expecting a immediate and smooth surge of power until the midrange hit occurs. This is the first fuel injected bike I have had so maybe I have no F-ing clue what I am talking about. I guess you have to treats the 6's like a 125 motocrosser and keep the revs up.

2003 ZX6R Silver
Can't lie, I felt it before also. It did it for two days then all of a sudden it just went away. I've had the bike for about a month. It never did it until last week. The temp was around 90 degrees. I weigh 240 and I'm 6'2. I don't suspect it had anything to do with my size though, because it doesn't do it all the time it just did it for those 2 days. Even on those two days it only did it once or twice. Just so happen...those were the hottest days yet so far. I wasn't going to post anything about it until someone else posted about it first, just in case it was just me. Also on those days I washed my bike. Maybe air filter was wet[?] Just a guess. Overall a great bike though!

Dont quote me boi cause I aint said shit!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I wanted to know if anyone has expereinced a slight hesitation on the bottom end. I usually notice it in the low RPMS like 5k and below. If I am cruising and crack the throttle open, there is a slight hestitiation then it starts pulling. Maybe I am in just too high of a gear and letting the revs drop too low then expecting a immediate and smooth surge of power until the midrange hit occurs. This is the first fuel injected bike I have had so maybe I have no F-ing clue what I am talking about. I guess you have to treats the 6's like a 125 motocrosser and keep the revs up.

2003 ZX6R Silver

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Mine has it too. If you own an 03 636(stock) and say yours doesnt do it, then you just cant feel it, but it is there. It is very suttle. Every 600 bike I've ever ridden has that little dip in the curve around 5-6kish. Also if you look at the dyno chart you can actually see what your feeling. There is a dip. It's not huge or a problem at all. A pcIIIusb will take that out. I am going to wait on my pcIII until I get a full system.

Thank God for Guardian Angels... Especially This One!

·
Registered
14 Posts
All standard bikes has some form of a power drop or stutters, this is normal as factory needs to restrict some areas to pass the emission test.
Slap on a Power commander and pick a mapping that matches your exhuast, this problem will be gone.

·
Registered
226 Posts
My '02 636 has it too, and you can really feel it, if you know what to look for.

As best said, it's there because of the emission tests, but some re-mapping or re-jetting should take care of it.

- Wilder than the wildest dreams!

·
Registered
81 Posts
only when I dont give her enough for play i.e. allow her to idle for 3-5 mins b4 riding if she's been sitting for about an hour or more. Otherwise she's a smooth as butter, expect at 8k where she's goes ballistic.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Hmmmmmm... not sure where this "dip" would be on the dyno graphs I've seen as you suggest... unlike many bikes out there, you have to admit the 2003 ZX6R is pretty damn linear...

·
Registered
122 Posts
The weather finally broke and I took her out. From sitting for a week or more it was real bad. I got some fresh gas and cleaned it out but it was stumbling and hestitating pretty bad at first. Runs like a champ now. I noticed that there is s slight leak by the bottom underneath bolt on the water pump on the left side of the motor. The bolt seemed tight and I cannot figure why that would be leaking. It is definitely coolant.

2003 ZX6R Silver

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
DJ, I like how you have to disagree with anything I say. Well If you cant see the dip in your first dyno chart than you need to have yours eyes checked. of course every dyno chart I see is different and most people dont ride their bike how they dyno it. But maybe you do, i don't know? On the track the slight dip is not very noticable but it is on the street at normal acceleration that anyone can feel it. All 600cc bikes are like this, no matter what you say. Heres another dyno chart where you can see the small dip.

Also, cyclops... check your gaskets, hoses, hose connections, and the washer around the bolt. It sounds like one of them may need some replacing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Actually, I ntoiced that when riding one of those two black drainage hoses was pointed directly in that area instead of away from the bike towards the road. Was this just run off from one of them? What comes out of there? I thought they were breathers.

2003 ZX6R Silver

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Tommy, I hardly disagree with EVERYTHING you say, sorry ya feel that way... but yeah, I've been AMAZED at how linear the power on my bike is. And, I STILL don't see any dip in the HP curve of the first graph, although yes there appears to be a slight "lull" in the torque curve (where power doesn't increase, but doesn't dip either), but if HP continues to rise, that's hardly a hiccup in the powerband. Check out the graph in Motorcyclist, Superbike, and Performance Bikes just to name a few and these "lulls" just don't exist. I don't think it's my eyes. However, looking at your graph posted, then yes, I DO see a dip in that curve - which doesn't appear on any other graphs I've seen.

However, if you say you feel hesitation on this bike, I'll take your word for it... I don't... I find it amazingly linear power delivery, and nearly flawless EFI. Of course, I'm not running a stock pipe either, maybe that's the difference in my bike... You should ride an R6 or a CBR-RR... from the looks of THOSE curves, there are PRONOUNCED dips in the powerband. My '99 R6 and my '97 Gixxer 600 BOTH had HUGE dips in the powerband, and I'll tell you something... the new 636 has NOTHING to be ashamed of compared to them for smooth power delivery.

Until your next post, I'm done disagreeing now. [}:)]:D;) Seriously from now on, if I don't post a reaction to one of your posts... assume I could find nothing to disagree with (and God knows I'll be trying !!! LOL JK)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Okay...I got a question....DJ...you see the differences in the HP from the 2 graphs...especially the MCN one....that is a big diff..seems like it's only getting 101 hp with the akra whereas the sportrider graph it's getting 107... What's up with that?? are there differences with the dynos??? I ask this because when I got my bike dyno'd I only got 101.6 with my akra and PCIII. I originally had it brought in to get it custom mapped..but when they ran all the tests the micron slip on map was pretty much dead on...so I left it. Now here is the real deal....the shop I brought it into is pretty much a Harley Shop...only dyno in town and only tuning center in town...the guy didn't seem to know much about sportbikes...but knew alot about dynojet.... So I don't know if I should bring it somewhere else or what? He is working with me though to find out more...he wants to start doing more sportbikes (especially since majority of the bikes around here are)...he's talking with dynojet and checking somethings out.. I will post a thread soon with my numbers....it just seems kinda disappointing... the bike feels great...but those numbers kinda let me down..especially considering my 7R was putting out closed 121HP...

Ok...sorry for the rant...but I just want to know if there are differences with dynos and will these differences effect HP reads??

Ok...I'm done for now :)

[img=left]http://www.guamaniac.com/mc/webpost/maniac6r.jpg [/img=left]
"Take Your Time But Hurry Up"

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Yes actually just about every dyno will give you different numbers. Depends on many things: Eddy current (load), Raim air, hummidity, ambiant air temp, altitude, ect... A manufacturer can even be dynoing the bike by a pro dynoer in a 0 hummidity, nice cold room, with a ram air effect! Dynos are really meant for tunning, modifying, and trouble shooting your bike. And there really isn't a dyno standard out there. So just about every dyno will show different results. So a manufacturer can basically get whatever HP gains he wants to say from his product. So don't beleive most manufacturers or even some magazines!And Especially dont beleive pipe manufactures own results.
Also bikes dont show their true HP until you get a few thousand miles on them. So dont be surprised if you get just a hair over 100HP if you dont have a few thousand miles on your bike yet. Also, I wouldn't recommend even touching you bike until you have at least 1000 miles on it. Meening no new pipe till after 1,000. How many miles do you have on your bike? I actually noticed a huge power increase from about 2,000 miles to about 3,000. Im sure I had about 10 extra HP after the 3,000 mile mark.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.