Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I was talking to the dealership where I bought my bike and they are trying to convince me to get a power commander and slip on exhaust. I know that dealerships are mainly sales people trying to make a commission and I never really believe everything they tell me. I just have a couple questions for everyone. I have a 2007 650r btw.

1. What exactly will it do for me to get both the power commander and slip on.

2. Will I see/feel the difference.

3. Is it worth it?

4. And any opinions from anyone that has one or both already done.

Thank you for any and all responses ahead of time! :)

·
Registered
28,591 Posts
a power commander(properly tuned) will make the bike's power more linear.

a slip on and a power commander might get you 5hp if you're very lucky.(the power commander is not necessary with just a slip on)

is it worth it to you to spend $750-1000(or more depending on the slip on) for 2-5hp? you be the judge.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I noticed no difference in power, throttle response, or anything with the slip on. I did gain a ungodly amount of popping on decel or throttle roll off. The slip on does make sweet music under acceleration though. Stock the bike sounded like a damn tractor.

I installed a powercommander v earlier this week and, after a few days with it, I wish I had installed it when I bought the bike. It makes that much of an improvement in throttle response. It virtually eliminates the popping on decel, and greatly smooths out the power delivery. It does not magically turn the 650 into a liter bike but it does make the bike more rideable. It feels faster and more peppy too. Getting rid of the surging at lower RPM while cruising it worth the cost of the unit to me.

I personally was getting to the point that I could not deal with the popping that comes with a slip on. I was considering removing my Arrow slip on and going back to stock because of it. I would not put a slip on on my bike without a powercommander. Do both or none IMO.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I noticed no difference in power, throttle response, or anything with the slip on. I did gain a ungodly amount of popping on decel or throttle roll off. The slip on does make sweet music under acceleration though. Stock the bike sounded like a damn tractor.

I installed a powercommander v earlier this week and, after a few days with it, I wish I had installed it when I bought the bike. It makes that much of an improvement in throttle response. It virtually eliminates the popping on decel, and greatly smooths out the power delivery. It does not magically turn the 650 into a liter bike but it does make the bike more rideable. It feels faster and more peppy too. Getting rid of the surging at lower RPM while cruising it worth the cost of the unit to me.

I personally was getting to the point that I could not deal with the popping that comes with a slip on. I was considering removing my Arrow slip on and going back to stock because of it. I would not put a slip on on my bike without a powercommander. Do both or none IMO.
Just a heads up, if you can return that power commander for the model that just came out, do it. The new model does both A/F tunning and ignition timing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's always to get louder exhaust if anything.. I mean you want people to hear you coming down rather then plowing you cuz they didn't know you where there...

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but for a 2007 model year Ninja 650R he'll have to use the old PCIII, right?

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
It's always to get louder exhaust if anything.. I mean you want people to hear you coming down rather then plowing you cuz they didn't know you where there...
Oh dear, another noobie espousing the myth that loud pipes save lives... :lame:

·
Registered
94 Posts
On my 08 ZX6R (different bike I know) I gained noticeable power and mpg with just a 2 bro's slip on, and I happen to like the popping sound it now makes. I have the PCIII and just gotta find a place to dyno it after I install it.

I suggest you don't buy from the stealership, and check the forum/eBay/craigslist for exhaust and pc3. I saved big $$$ doing exactly that.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Theyre telling me 1000 for a carbon fiber two bros and a power commander with install.
That's ludicrous! How much did you pay for the bike? A 2007 shouldn't have cost you more than $4k. And now they want to fleece you of another grand for a CF Pipe and PCIII that you can buy online for half that price. Stealership indeed!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's ludicrous! How much did you pay for the bike? A 2007 shouldn't have cost you more than $4k. And now they want to fleece you of another grand for a CF Pipe and PCIII that you can buy online for half that price. Stealership indeed!

Id rather not say lol getting the power commander and slip on will it give me better gas mileage? Ive seen conflicting comments.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
You can find the slip on and pc online for about $400 each brand new. Shop online and save a couple hundred $. Plus the install on both is very easy. Don't let them bang you over the head for extra money you could use for gear or tires or something useful.

Oh dear, another noobie espousing the myth that loud pipes save lives... :lame:
It depends on how you look at it. If you think "the louder the pipe, the safer I am" then no, I'd disagree. I don't like obnoxiously loud pipes, but anything that makes even one more person acknowledge that you're there, is good.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi everyone I was talking to the dealership where I bought my bike and they are trying to convince me to get a power commander and slip on exhaust. I know that dealerships are mainly sales people trying to make a commission and I never really believe everything they tell me. I just have a couple questions for everyone. I have a 2007 650r btw.

1. What exactly will it do for me to get both the power commander and slip on.

2. Will I see/feel the difference.

3. Is it worth it?

4. And any opinions from anyone that has one or both already done.

Thank you for any and all responses ahead of time! :)
I've done both the PCV and slip-on one at a time. That is, a slip-on, then a pair valve plugging, then the PVC installed with a known good map. I can say that there is much more gain from the Slip-on plus pair valve plug than there is with adding a power commander. The power commander did not increase power much if at all, but only smoothed out the midrange a bit. I've seen been recommending the PC as optional and unneeded.

Note that I wouldn't do a slip-on without the pair valve plugging, the afterfiring is pretty bad in that case.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You can find the slip on and pc online for about $400 each brand new. Shop online and save a couple hundred $. Plus the install on both is very easy. Don't let them bang you over the head for extra money you could use for gear or tires or something useful.
I found both slip on and power commander on sportbiketrackgear.com for $684 after shipping, i figure thats probably going to be the best deal i can find.

I've done both the PCV and slip-on one at a time. That is, a slip-on, then a pair valve plugging, then the PVC installed with a known good map. I can say that there is much more gain from the Slip-on plus pair valve plug than there is with adding a power commander. The power commander did not increase power much if at all, but only smoothed out the midrange a bit. I've seen been recommending the PC as optional and unneeded.

Note that I wouldn't do a slip-on without the pair valve plugging, the afterfiring is pretty bad in that case.

do you know of a link to another thread that has the directions for that please =)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just a tid bit of info, popping on decel is not good, that means you AFR is too lean, If the bike is running that lean with a slip-on and no power commander then you should not do it. Plus a power commander is worthless with out a custom tune. With a generic map you may think your going faster but indeed you are not, the sound of your new slip on just tricks you.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Just a tid bit of info, popping on decel is not good, that means you AFR is too lean, If the bike is running that lean with a slip-on and no power commander then you should not do it. Plus a power commander is worthless with out a custom tune. With a generic map you may think your going faster but indeed you are not, the sound of your new slip on just tricks you.
The popping on this bike is actually related to emissions. The stock muffler is a really good exhaust system in terms of environmentally friendliness. The after markets mufflers do pop from a lean condition, but its not the motor thats causing it, its the emissions system and its only lean in the muffler, not the engine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts