Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this subject has been beaten to death, but I would still like some input. Im am currently considering 3 different slipons for my '04 636: Akrapovic, Yoshi, and Micron.

I hear Akrapovic is an excellent pipe, especially for the 636, its even reccommended by kawasaki. It also looks clean as hell in carbon. Only drawback is that it is over $100 more expensive then any other slip-on.

The Yoshi pipe is good looking, all my riding friends swear by them, and the price is decent for the carbon pipe, good for titanium, and cheap for stainless. I am partial to the carbon because it isnt prone to discoloration and burned in marks (which is the reason im replacing my exhaust in the first place).

I dont know much about micron, dont even know if they make a slipon for the 03+ 636, but a blue can highmount slipon would look unbelievably cool on my bike.

What do you guys think? Anyone have experience with any of these pipes? Pros, cons, or any other input is much appreciated.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Of those 3:

1. Akro
2/3. Yosh and Micron

I have a ti Hindle highmount on my 03. I would not replace it for anything. I am completely happy with it. Hindle is way cheaper as well, and the build quality is good. Personally, I like ti better, the carbon will deteriorate (in the sun).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kind of deterioration are we talking about with the carbon pipes? Im just tired of dumbass little kids (and adults for that matter) walking up and touching my can, then having fingerprints and all kinds of other stuff burned into the can. My friends carbon micron pipe is sweet because you can touch the thing all you want and there is no permanant damage to the finish.

Are there any other brands that i should be considering here? Right now im leaning towards the Yoshi, i can get the carbon for $370, and ti for about $60 less.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Carbon will just discolor, that's about it. I don't know if it will deform at all. All I know is, ti is the shit. I'd go with that. ti is more trick than carbon, IMO.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Yup Ti has pretty much taken over for a couple of reasons, lighter, won't deteriorate like carbon fiber will from exhaust heat(carbon kevlar is superior).granted it would take a fair amount of time before the CF breaks down but it will.

BD

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Older carbon cans had problems with breaking down in the sun over time, and becoming very brittle, and cracking.
Newer carbon cans (made in the last 3 years or so), do not have this problem

I currently have a Hindle full system on my bike, with a Ti can. Quality is good and I love the sound. I may switch to a carbon can eventually, its what I wanted anyway, the Ti one was too good a deal to pass up though.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have an akra slip on now...I traded in the yoshi can for it. The yoshi was louder at idle and a nice rumble at higher rpms but the fit and finish of the akra just blew me away. Plus, once you really get on her..the akra comes into it's own...very racy sounding.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Buying the akropovic as a slip on would be a waste. (might get you some good poser points though) They are too quite and too much $$$. Their build quality is good but not steps away from some others. I would pick micron, they are good quality, less $$$, and nice deep and fairly loud tone.
I have a hindle pipe and love it. It's actually really deep sounding. The hindles and microns sound very much alike.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I just reveived this one in the mail but I havent put in on yet $375.00 from starcycle great company awesome service and they will beat any price they are serious.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, after doing much more research, im still left with a kindof "eh" feeling. I called Yoshi, the guy i talked to there said 6months to 3 years on a carbon pipe before it needs to be replaced, and i immediately changed my mind to Ti. I called M4, they said they have never had any problems with their carbon pipes. I called Todd at calsportbike.com, he said carbon typically breaks down in the big v-twins (999, RC-51) because of the much higher heat, and breakdown isnt a problem on a 600 as long as you take care of the pipe (clean, polish, etc). So, there are basically people telling me a little of everything, and i dont know who to beleive, but im thinkin Ti is probably the smarter way to go if there is any doubt.

I also dropped akro from my list of wanted pipes, too pricey for what you get. Micron also gut cut out for price and availability reasons, plus they dont make a highmount for the 636. So, its down to the Yoshi RS-3 race slipon (not sure what finish), and im considering the M4 highmount Ti slipon. I can get the Yoshi for $325, and the M4 for around $400, and i love the way the highmount looks. Anybody have experience with M4? I havent heard anyone say anything about them on this board.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Originally posted by ange062
Well, after doing much more research, im still left with a kindof "eh" feeling. I called Yoshi, the guy i talked to there said 6months to 3 years on a carbon pipe before it needs to be replaced, and i immediately changed my mind to Ti. I called M4, they said they have never had any problems with their carbon pipes. I called Todd at calsportbike.com, he said carbon typically breaks down in the big v-twins (999, RC-51) because of the much higher heat, and breakdown isnt a problem on a 600 as long as you take care of the pipe (clean, polish, etc). So, there are basically people telling me a little of everything, and i dont know who to beleive, but im thinkin Ti is probably the smarter way to go if there is any doubt.

I also dropped akro from my list of wanted pipes, too pricey for what you get. Micron also gut cut out for price and availability reasons, plus they dont make a highmount for the 636. So, its down to the Yoshi RS-3 race slipon (not sure what finish), and im considering the M4 highmount Ti slipon. I can get the Yoshi for $325, and the M4 for around $400, and i love the way the highmount looks. Anybody have experience with M4? I havent heard anyone say anything about them on this board.
Micron does make a highmount for the 636 give starcycle.com a try they will beat any price you have and they ship fast.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Actually, i found the micron cheap ($402 shipped for carbon high-mount) at parts411, and starcycle said they wouldnt match the price, "it wasnt worth it". Looks like im goin for parts411, though i still havent made up my mind between the M4 or micron carbon high mount.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.