Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I did a thing that I thought I woud be very happy.The last oil change, I put a new oil.Castrol activeo 10-w40.In 300 miles my clutch slipped several times.Before I used a blend from honda,same caractersitics and never had a problem.Now there you go.I spent more money for this piece of shit oil and very soon I have to replace it again.Every time the clutch slipped, was on high rpms, shifting with or without clutch.I dont think there is something wrong with the clutch since it never happened before with the other oil.Any of you guys had this kind of problem?

·
Registered
45 Posts
You will have problems if you are switching between regular oil and synthetic. If you had synthetic in and are going to regular, then chances are you will have to change the friction plates or you will have clutch slippage. Generally you won't have as much trouble if you are going from regular to synthetic, but anything is possible.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
I assume you mean Castrol act-evo? That is a motorcycle specific oil, it shouldn't have caused clutch issues. Make sure your clutch cable has 1-2mm of free play in it.
I've been running Mobil1 15w50(or 5w50) for four years, very happy with it.

Also, switching back and forth between synthetic and dino oil does not cause any problems, old wives tale.

·
Registered
70 Posts
you have to be careful that whatever oil you use does not contain "friction modifiers" which essentialy make the oil more slippery and is suppose to give better gas mileage for CARS. as said above, there is no problem in switching from regular to synthetic oil. i use shell rotella 5w-40 synthetic and highly recommend it. good luck.

sc1

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys.Oh yeah.So far never used syntetic.The castrol that I use now it is still a blend.If it was full syntetic I think it would say on the bottle.Anyway it may be the clutch cable.I had it lubed at the service last saturday.Wish I knew how to fix that.the only thing I would have to adjust woud be at the lever ,cause he took the cable out.So you say if it is between half way of the threads it should be fine.I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
It is not the oil. Synthetic or blend or any oil EXCEPT the low viscosity car oils with friction modifiers do NOT cause slippage. Either you cable is too tight (is there play in the lever?) or your clutch plates are worn. Do you clutch up wheelies?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I just replaced the clutch plates on my bike and it did take a bit of adjusting of the cable to get it right. The bulk of the adjustments are done where the cable terminates near the clutch cover. Once this is done, use the lever adjuster to fine tune it and you are home free.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.