Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it normal to rev match with a slipper clutch? i just upgraded from an 01 to an 06 zx6r and i was just wondering...

·
Registered
663 Posts
the 636 had it after '03 i believe. I was also wondering if this was necessary on my 10R so thanks for asking a good question [:p]

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Blipping the throttle to match revs when changing down a gear is simply good technique. It's worth doing whenever possible.

The slipper clutch prevents the rear wheel from locking up under engine compression if you don't match the revs properly, or if the rear wheel is barely on the ground and you're braking hard and the engine is doing fairly high revs.

It doesn't mean that you should forget about matching the revs when changing down. Matching revs will always make your gearshifts smoother and quieter.

·
Registered
571 Posts
If you start downshifting without trying to match revs not even the slipper clutch will be able to prevent wheel hop if you're downshifting at high enough RPM's. The slipper clutch doesn't eliminate the need to rev match, it's just an added measure of control when downshifting to prevent wheel hop. The slipper clutch is the best thing a manufacturer can put on a sportbike in my opinion. For me it was a huge improvement in control when downshifting hard and braking late into a corner. I have still managed to induce wheel hop on occasion but not nearly as often as I did prior to having a slipper clutch. It's the best thing to happen to sportbikes since the wheel was invented!

·
Registered
383 Posts
I agree with the above.
I myself, always blip the throttle, but I've managed to still lock up the rear by breaking really late while downshifting.
The slipper just adds that extra back up for when you screw up!

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
i read somewhere about clutchless down shifts with the slipper clutch. is this a good thing to do on the track? i can't bring myself to try it. but even with the slipper and blipping the throttle i have locked the tire some.

·
Registered
121 Posts
All the slipper clutch is doing it engaging the clutch a predetermind amount. so as other members have been saying, you will still experience wheel hop if you do it from too high of an RPM. So, matching the revs will be your safest bet.

·
Registered
418 Posts
once i learned how to properly rev match and started practicing it, my entrance speed into corners got alot faster. the slipper clutch is there as a back up

·
Registered
121 Posts
Originally posted by nick041881
once i learned how to properly rev match and started practicing it, my entrance speed into corners got alot faster. the slipper clutch is there as a back up
you have just done what most people dont do. Practice!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.