Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't felt as comfortable on my bike as I nomally do. I think alot of it has to do with the fact that during turning My rear tire feels a little loose. Whether that's traction, suspension, whatever... I feel less confident doing the same old turns even at slower speeds.

I just got my bikes first service done at the dealership and didn't notice this problem before hand. Could they have spilt lube on the tires? Maybe they forgot to tighten something when adjusting the chain tension.

Or maybe I'm just crazy and they are Ghost feelings. I don't know.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually did just check my pressure in the tires. It's supposed to be 28 front/32 rear. The dealership hiked it up to 35psi both front and back. I'm no expert but I can definitely feel the difference. How do you check alignment?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I know you said you didn notice it until after you had it serviced but just some food for thought. After I rode for a few hundred miles i started to notice the rear tire slipping as well. I attributed it to me becoming more comfortable in the turns and leaning more. As my chicken strips dissapeared, so did the slipping. Just throwin it out there:confused:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After I rode for a few hundred miles i started to notice the rear tire slipping as well. I attributed it to me becoming more comfortable in the turns and leaning more. As my chicken strips dissapeared, so did the slipping. Just throwin it out there
I'm sure it's a combination of things but this makes sense. That rubber on the side is obviously just barely gettin used. and they say virgin rubber is slick.

·
Registered
274 Posts
to check alignment just look at the marks on swingarm above the rear axle. the top line should be in the same position relative to the bottom lines on both sides. if it's off, the bike will feel like it's falling into a turn one way, then resist the turn the other way. it tends to change when tightening axle nut. j

·
Registered
197 Posts
Good chance it is the tire pressure. My front tire seems to have a small leak. Dropped 3-4 pounds at one point, I could not believe the difference that made. It was very "loose" when the pressure was off.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm starting to think my 08 has a small leak on the front tire too. It only has ~450 miles and I have had to put air in it twice already. The rear holds pressure just fine. Is this normal for motorcycles???

On topic- It could also be that they spilled some brake fluid or oil on the tire. Or maybe the shop's floor was greasy and the tire absorbed some of it. Oh, and is the spring pre-load setting the same as when you brought it in??

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, I'm a negligent nOOb I admit. I don't go through a daily check on my bike like I should. But here's the thing. They over inflated my tires by 7/3 psi, so I asked myself, "what else did they botch?" I checked the oil window. It's so overfilled that i have to lean the bike PAST the kickstand resting angle just to see the top level. Their oil after 100 miles is twice as nasty as mine was after 680. I wonder what they put in it...

check alignment just look at the marks on swingarm above the rear axle. the top line should be in the same position relative to the bottom lines on both sides. if it's off, the bike will feel like it's falling into a turn one way, then resist the turn the other way. it tends to change when tightening axle nut
Good call. It's a complete 1/2 mark off on one side.

Over the phone I called them out on all three: tire pressure, oil level, and swingarm. "well some riders prefer their air at... " "I'm not saying we DIDN'T make a mistake but..." "we can't fix your bike just because the rear tire FEELS off, We'd have to go the marks..." :mad:

What did you do? The entire service with the bike resting on the kickstand?

The other dealership I almost bought my bike from bad mouthed these guys' service department. I thought they were just trying to make a sale... I'm thinking I'll pay the extra $25 next time and get it done right at white knuckle:

and remember Utah Riders:

Duff Shelly Cycles:weapons73:

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Okay, I'm a negligent nOOb I admit. I don't go through a daily check on my bike like I should. But here's the thing. They over inflated my tires by 7/3 psi, so I asked myself, "what else did they botch?" I checked the oil window. It's so overfilled that i have to lean the bike PAST the kickstand resting angle just to see the top level. Their oil after 100 miles is twice as nasty as mine was after 680. I wonder what they put in it...

Over the phone I called them out on all three: tire pressure, oil level, and swingarm. "well some riders prefer their air at... " "I'm not saying we DIDN'T make a mistake but..." "we can't fix your bike just because the rear tire FEELS off, We'd have to go the marks..." :mad:

What did you do? The entire service with the bike resting on the kickstand?

The other dealership I almost bought my bike from bad mouthed these guys' service department. I thought they were just trying to make a sale... I'm thinking I'll pay the extra $25 next time and get it done right at white knuckle:

and remember Utah Riders:

Duff Shelly Cycles:weapons73:
So, did you correct the problems and is the bike back to how it felt before the service?

This is the exact reason I refuse to let anyone else touch my bike/car for any type of schedule maintenance/service.

Why not learn to do these things yourself, save some (a lot) money and be assured it was done right?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
So, did you correct the problems and is the bike back to how it felt before the service?

This is the exact reason I refuse to let anyone else touch my bike/car for any type of schedule maintenance/service.

Why not learn to do these things yourself, save some (a lot) money and be assured it was done right?
The learning experience is rewarding. The more you know they better off you're be should you break down on the side of the road.

·
Registered
274 Posts
if the alignment was off that much and tire pressure 7 lb. i can see how it would feel very strange. these bikes are amazingly sensitive unlike the harleys i've been on for 35 years. on those, the tires can be mis-matched, wrong pressure, bent frame, out of alignment... if the engine starts everything's great. j

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
Search a little bit. If you're placing a lot of faith in those marks you're going to be disappointed. There's numerous methods to checking rear wheel alignment and the notches is probably the last one you'd want to use for a 'reliable indicator'. My alignment is spot on right now and my ticks are probably off by 1/4 of a notch!

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
This isn't the first thread where the dealer's scheduled maintenence resulted in poor handling or obvious mistakes in adjustment. You certainly did the right thing by calling the service department to complain. Enzo and kkim are right though. If they can screw up that badly doing routine maintenence and then try to talk themselves out of it you'd be much better off servicing the bike yourself. It's not difficult to do, especially with a good service manual. It's bad enough we have to always pre-check our bikes before each ride for loose bolts and the usual vibration-caused misalignments or drops in tire pressure, etc. You don't need to add to that dilligence by also having to check a certified repair shop's shoddy work to make sure it was done right (or done at all.) :mad:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.