Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i just bought an 02 zx6r last week for a trackbike. Runs and idles good below 6k but if i twist her wide open it takes probably 30 seconds to go from 6k to 10k in first gear and seems like forever to go to redline, it doesnt pull hard at all, it doesnt miss or hesitate it just accelerates very very slowly. This bike doesn't have the ram air tubes, just has the scoops coming out of the frame and thats it. But i didnt think that would affect anything until over about 60mph, and im only in first gear. And also it has the factory headers but the p.o. has a cut down aftermarket silencer on it. Could either of these cause my problem?? And if not what else should i check?

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
clean the carbs first, might just be some junk in there.

·
Registered
90 Posts
clean the carbs, thoroughly and properly. There is a really nice write up out there if you search for it. Also could check air filter while your in there and maybe a fuel filter.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok guys thanks for the quick replies, ill try that this weekend. some new plugs
probably couldnt hurt either..

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok guys i threw in some new ngk iriduim plus and cleaned the carbs. Now it revs up fine and runs strong , but if i let it idle for a few minutes it acts like its loading up, starts idling really rough and hesitiates if you give it gas. If you rev it a few times it clears out and you start over again. Now what im wonderin is if could be the lack of an airbox causing this, i dnt have an airbox for it at all right now. Could that cause my issue??

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
More than likely.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
the carbs are designed for the whole thing. even without the ram air tubes, you then need to route the carb vent line to the airbox, as to balance the slide chamber air with airbox pressure....this is usually routed to the right side of thecarbs where the kleen air tube from the top of the engine would route into.
must be a writeup on here about it.

get a box

1 - 9 of 9 Posts